Back from the vet (or: Sam, the $1 million dog)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from the vet (or: Sam, the $1 million dog)

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultBack from the vet (or: Sam, the $1 million dog)

We took both boys in, Sam for the broken tooth, and Bodie's been losing fur on the left side of his face.* Bodie didn't have mites or fungus, they said it might just be due to the change in the weather and gave us some ointment to put on every day.

For Sam, we have 3 options: root canal which would cost $1500-$2500, antibiotics and pain meds for 10 days to see if the tooth starts to form a protective coating, or pull it.* It is his upper left canine.* It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, so we are doing the pills and will go back in 10 days to have it checked.* If it's not healing up, we will have to make the decision on the root canal or pulling it.

I'm very torn as to which decision would be best.* I want him to keep the tooth, but they said that tooth isn't all that important and $2500 is a lot of money.* Does anyone have any advice/experience, and does the root canal price seem reasonable?

edited to add: if the tooth does form the protective coating or build up of enamel, the root will die and the tooth will darken. But it will still be there and won't bother Sam at all. I really hope that this happens.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Back from the vet (or: Sam, the $1 million dog)

Hawaii Zoe just had this done, hope Linda sees this!

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

You might PM Linda Zoesmom, She just went through this with Zoe

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Poor Sam.

Laura

bibber is offline Senior Member

I pm'd Linda (zoesmom), I knew she'd have some advice! ;D

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm probably going to be slammed for this. BUT...in JMHO...it's a dog. Pull the tooth. He isn't going to miss a change to go to the senior prom with the head cheerleader because of it. If the vet says it's not that important, I'd go with my vet. Use the money for something else.
    I hope everything works out ok, and it heals on it's own.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Last November, Reg had a "run-in" with a Ford Explorer. He lost his left top canine (fang). I can't say it made a moment of difference for him. I'm not saying what to decide but just know that if the tooth is pulled, it may bother you but won't bother him.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Agree with buddysmom. If I had the option of spending $2500 or pulling a tooth...I'd pull the tooth.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Hi Brenda
    Wow, decisions, decisions... I know what you're going through right now. I really have no advice but I'll just give our experience.

We, too, had the option of extraction or root canal ("r/c"). Zoe's r/c did cost $1500, a big chunk of cash for sure. Don't know how much an extraction would have cost.

What made me decide on the r/c was that Zoe's broken tooth was her lower canine, and I know she uses that tooth to hold on to objects, especially the bumper attached to the boogie board, and for shredding. While her tooth was broken at least 2/3 down, she still had something left, which we felt, she should keep; therefore the r/c. Another reason for the r/c was that we were thinking of getting her tooth crowned 6 months down the road. However, that is no longer an option, because they will have to extract the tooth next to it, cut her gums and then crown.

I'm hoping that Sam's tooth will form the protective coating. If this happens, and his tooth darkens, will that set him up for gum infection, though?

Also, I'm wondering why your vet gave you such a large range of the estimate: $1500 to $2500. That's a $1000 difference. I can send you Zoe's invoice for her r/c if you want, and you can show it to your vet DDS.

In the meantime, (((HUGS))) to you and Sam; I'm glad he doesn't seem to be in pain, and I know you'll make the right decision for him.

Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I'm probably going to be slammed for this. BUT...in JMHO...it's a dog. Pull the tooth. He isn't going to miss a change to go to the senior prom with the head cheerleader because of it. If the vet says it's not that important, I'd go with my vet. Use the money for something else.
    I hope everything works out ok, and it heals on it's own.
    Ditto. Just what I was thinking. It would only be a cosmetic difference if the tooth is not important to how he functions. If it was an "important" tooth, I would feel differently.

I feel for you with the $1 million dollar dog. : I have thought about calculating what Angus has cost me in vet bills already. Then I decided some things are better not itemized. :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast