Cow chasing and duck fetching..what a night!

Thread: Cow chasing and duck fetching..what a night!

DefaultCow chasing and duck fetching..what a night!

Such excitement!!!!!!!* We went out to a pond yesterday evening and Sam retrieved his FIRST duck.* At least the first one that I know about.... can't say what he did before I got him.* It was so much fun to watch him!!!!!!!!!!* Sort of like watching a child hit a home run in Little League!*
    This area we went to is just wonderful.* So much land all full of ponds and places that a dog would love to run in.* And unfortunately, cows.* And Sam CHASED them.* I couldn't believe it.* Maybe he's crossed with an Australian shepherd.* I took him off the leash, and away he went.* Running them here and there.* I finally got him back, and that's why you see the long line on him in the retrieving pictures.* NO MORE COW CHASING!* *So here are the proud mama pictures of Sam and his first duck.............

Frances

I KNOW she's going to let me get in that water.....

Here I am....going after my FIRST duck...

I got it...I got it...

I'm coming back...carrying this duck and swimming is hard work!!!

Finally......* Mom missed the good shot of me coming out of the water with it!

And here is me in my back yard this morning before Mom went to work.* We were playing Chuck It.* I LOVE Chuck It.* She didn't get close enough to show you that my tongue is full of bubbles!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cow chasing and duck fetching..what a night!

Wow you are lucky

With sheep in this country, the farmer is within his rights to shoot a dog worrying his sheep. I don't know whether the same thing applies with cows but you have to be careful.

Apparently, dogs chasing farm animals can cause extreme stress to the extent that nervous animals expire !

Yes, you're right. This was on government (army) land and I don't know whose cows they were. But I got him back within a minute or two, so I don't think he did much harm. Not like a stampede or anything! And I will be careful that he doesn't get the chance to do that again!

Frances

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Frances ... do you intend to hunt Sam? If so, training with the long lead is fine but you experienced first hand what it's like for a dawg to take off on you and NOT heed a HERE command. It could just have easily been a deer or boar. And Sam may NOT come back. Sam can't wear a lead forever. Thus .... the reason that some of us believe so strongly in the e-collar, for enforcing a known command that the dawg is willfully ignoring.

I expect my 20 month old Remi to still have some occasional obedience lapses when excitement exceeds her willingness to comply and off she goes. I don't expect that misconduct from 7-1/2 year old Cappy. However, both ended up with a NO - zzzzzap - HERE - zzzzzap Tuesday morning when they spotted a huge snapping turtle on dry land well away from the pond we were training at, and decided they needed to "fetch it".

I didn't know that snappers HISS! I do know that ones the size of that one could beak a dawgs leg in an instant. Both dawgs now classify snappers in the same class as rattlesnakes ... an instant "yikkkes in the neck" if you fool with one.

Continued fun and success in Sam's training.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.