What breed of dog would you NEVER own? - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What breed of dog would you NEVER own?

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What breed of dog would you NEVER own?

Toy / Yapper / Kick dogs of any breed (if I want an animal the size of a cat, well, I have cats!). *That said, I have met some individuals that I liked a lot, they're just not for me.

Schnauzer - never met one I really liked, and have met several that I disliked rather intensely

Airedale - see above

Akita - see above

Doberman - BAD experience as a kid, I still have an involuntary fear response even when I meet a nice one, so it's a bad mix

Pit bull - just couldn't deal with the negative perception and stigma associated, a lot of what I treasure about having a dog is being able to socialize with him

Afghan - too high maintenance

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top as definite "no"s. *But that said, when my BF started on about wanting a dog, I told him the only kind I would really consider was a lab. *And he's been such a joy that I can really only picture myself with labs from now on.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Great post!

I'd probably rule out any bully breeds for the reasons mentioned above...we're going to have children in a couple of years and there is no need to worry about temperment issues or even other childrens parents being worried even if we aren't.

Tiny yappy dogs are so not my thing... Terriers don't seem my type either, a bit too independent. *The ex-large breed dogs do have such a short life expectancy, its a shame, as I do LOVE the BMD's!!!! *

I agree that sporting dogs seem the best bet, they tend to be great people pleasers. *

However, I think my next dog will be from the shelter, likely not a puppy but a younger dog... and probably in a couple of years when CoCo has matured, but we'll see what the family sitation is like. *So anything goes!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Quote Originally Posted by Beaus Pete
    I welcome all dogs no discrimenting here.....all dogs can find a home with me!
    thank you!! *I agree! ;D ;D
    i say don't rule any breed out until you give it a try - it may change your life forever!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Unsound, crazy dogs of any breed. Sadly, there are too many of them among pits and GSDs these days (and GSDs are maybe my favorite breed after Labs), but that would not keep me from owning the right pit or GSD.

I guess I'd have to choose a bully very carefully, since at this point in my life I don't want to deal with dog aggression. (And contrary to what certain popular trainers will tell you, dog aggression cannot necessarily be "fixed" with exercise and dominance. It is proper temperament in a pit.) That would not rule out a non-dog-aggressive bully.

For some reason, I have a thing about Pekingese and Shih Tzus. I just think they're weird looking. I also probably would have a hard time with a hairless dog, although the Xolos are cute.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

This is a fun thread. I just wanted to add that, re-reading my post, this feels a little like the conversation "what would you never name your kid", and the answers so often are " '____' " because the bully in my first grade class was named that and I hated him!" Some of my response at least comes down to irrational associations and personal experiences with individuals. It's kind of funny.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

ok - i have to throw in a bit of humor to this thread:

what about this breed:

What is that a BatChi? Beauty is in the eye I suppose

i know - poor guy - i took this photo at the World's Ugliest Dog contest this year - surprisingly he didn't win. i don't think i should post the one that did win - it's kind of sad and scary!

I'm a self proclaimed breed snob I see many labs in my future with a token short legged jack russell thrown in for flavor!

Breeds I wouldn't keep in my house even if someone paid me...
    wiems: every single one I've met is nuts!
    poodles (toy-standard or doodle of any kind): I just can't stand them
    great dane: If I wanted something the size of a pony, I'd splurge and get the actual pony...at least I could ride it
    Small dogs (not including many terrier breeds): If I can't rough and tumble or hike with it, it just doesn't seem like a dog to me
    Sharpei: the wrinkles are cute as a pup, but not so much as an adult.
    Big, drooly dogs: icky

There are more, but those were off the top of my head

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

not interested in ever owning any toy breeds, dog bred to guard or herd.
    I like Labs and Cairn Terriers.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast