pure bred
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pure bred

Kimba is offline Senior Member

Defaultpure bred

I need some help. I am having a hard time putting into words how I can explain to my sister why she should only get a purebred lab with papers if she considers buying one, rather then getting a cheap lab from some family who's dog just happen to have pups.
    Does anyone have a link to an article or short summary so I can send it to her bc I am bad at explaining nad I want her to have all teh FACTS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sally Harrell is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: pure bred

If she's not that concerned about it having papers, has she thought about lab rescue?

Kimba is offline Senior Member

I think she is dead set on having the dog as a pup...but she was going to look at rescuing from shelter. I am worried if she rescues a "lab" from a shelter it may not be a lab or it may have problems due to incorrect breeding.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I'm sure someone like labby on this site can provide you with a few links on why you should use a reputable breeder.

Without going into masses of detail, when you buy from a reputable breeder you know what you are getting in terms of temperament and looks. The breeding stock will all be health tested and proven in some way through show, work, competition, etc. etc. You can pick a dog that fits into your lifestyle. A field type dog, for example, would do better in an active home.

With pet bred dogs it is a real mixed bag. The parents are not worked/proven and generally have had no health tests done. Temperament can also be suspect. Pet bred dogs are NOT bred to better the breed. They are bred purely for the sake of breeding. No thought or effort is involved.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Tagen is offline Senior Member

I am worried if she rescues a "lab" from a shelter it may not be a lab or it may have problems due to incorrect breeding
    I think many people on here who have rescued labs will tell you that this isn't usually the case. *If it were, I don't believe so many members on this board and other boards would have rescues. * Health-wise, yes, there is the potential of getting a pup w/ HD or ED or other genetic disorders, but you can have those same chances by going a BYB who doesn't do health clearances on breeding stock. *Same with temperment issues.

But here are just a few good articles that will hopefully change her opinion
    http://woodhavenlabs.com/paying.html
    http://woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder.html
    http://woodhavenlabs.com/clearances.html

Heck! *Just send her to woodhavenlabs.com *

labby is offline Senior Member

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Just remember (as has been pointed out on multiple threads on this board and others): having papers and being AKC registered is not the same as coming from a reputable breeder. There is no implicit or explicit quality guarantee that comes with the papers, they just mean that parents, grandparents, and ancestors were all registered with the AKC and were all labs. Remember, the AKC makes money off registrations, and registration is only a matter of tracing lineage, it has nothing to do with health, temperament, etc. (Before anyone jumps all over me about that statement, the AKC has to make money in order to support a lot of really wonderful programs, I am not saying they are a bad organization at all!)

There is nothing magic about registration and it is NOT a guarantee of health, nearly all BYB labs are "papered", very few have any clearances or health guarantees. So it's a matter of what she wants. If she doesn't care about papers, adopt from a shelter, those dogs are in desperate need of homes and make great pets. There are a lot of 100% labs in shelters. If she cares that her dog is guaranteed "pure" lab, buy a pup from a reputable breeder and do lots of research. But don't buy from a BYB and never from a pet store that sells puppies (puppy mills are far worse that BYBs).

Apologies if I misunderstood the original post, but I wanted to clarify the point about registration vs. quality breeders. They are different things.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

deneen is offline Senior Member

I am worried if she rescues a "lab" from a shelter it may not be a lab or it may have problems due to incorrect breeding.
    I would stress these points. If she buys a puppy from a byb, friend, not so experienced breeder this is what she may encounter.

You don't necessarily need to to a shelter. There are many labrador retriever breed rescues. I've had labs WITH their papers, people will turn papers over right along with their dogs. A breed rescue may never be 100% sure but I would put a large sum of money that some of my foster have been nothing but purebred. Dogs are also in foster homes so you have a good idea of their temperment already. Puppies are also availble.

Good luck, at leat she has you looking out for her. She should really be the one doing all the research.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Many lab rescues have puppies. Especially this time of year ... My best dog is a rescue (I have 5 lab rescues).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast