Our first night of Ruff Dogs...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our first night of Ruff Dogs...

snicksmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur first night of Ruff Dogs...

Well, Snicks and I went to our first class last night.* It was quite interesting.* It's definitely different than any class I've taken before.* I'm not sure what the outcome will be, but I'll definitely be learning some new skills.

Snickers was absolutely crazy the whole night.* It was a very loud class because when any of the dogs would make eye contact, they would start barking which would get the whole group barking.* The instructor says that this is normal for the first couple of nights and not to be discouraged by it.

At the beginning of class he had us sitting in the four corners of the room.* He told us not to acknowledge our dogs.* We just sat there holding their leashes and let them carry on like crazy while the trainer walked around and observed them.

Then we talked about our dogs and started working on some very basic calming techniques.

The guy really seems to know how to read dogs.* He worked with Snicks for awhile and got her to respond fairly well.* He talked to me after class and told me that Snicks is a "tough case".* However, he did say he's seen worse.* (Good....I think?* *???)*

I told him that I'm really getting burnt out on training.* He told me that I'm dealing with genetic issues with Snicks.* That I'm not a bad handler and that much of her actions are stemming from her genetics.

Anyway, we're gonna work hard with this guy and see what happens from there!

Sue & Snicks in New Hampshire

"I got the ball Mom....!!!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Our first night of Ruff Dogs...

What were some of the calming techniques?

Frances

Good for you I really hope he can help you gain some ground and be able to enjoy Snicks more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What were some of the calming techniques?
    We started out with having them in sits and then downs next to our chairs. *What was different to me about this is that we don't use any verbal commands for the dogs. *He wants everything directed through our bodies. *To put them in a sit, we grasped the leash in our right hand (flat collars) and put a little pressure on their back haunches to put them in a sitting position. *When they relax a little, we removed our hand from them. *When they broke, we repeated.

Then we went to downs. *This was done by using our left index finger and thumb right under their shoulder blades and pressing gently towards their rear end while directing their front down with the lead. *All of this with no verbal communication, no petting, etc. *If the dogs were able to lay calmly for a few minutes, they would get a verbal "good". *That's it.

Snicks needed a bit more than this (of course * :) so he had *us walking in repetitive patterns - like figure eights. *His theory is that dogs can't multi-task, so that if Snicks had to keep trying to figure out what I was doing, it took her focus off of being crazy towards the other dogs. *Again - all with nothing verbal.

Is this class tailored for dogs that have trouble interacting with other dogs? Sorry if I missed a previous post discussing it.

Is this class tailored for dogs that have trouble interacting with other dogs? Sorry if I missed a previous post discussing it.
    Yes! There are only four dogs/handlers in the class and it is for dogs with leash/dog aggression issues. It runs for nine weeks.

It's so nice to be in a class where having the wackiest dog makes you the star student! ;D

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I hope this works for you. Sounds like a different approach.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Katy Guest

That sounds like a great class! I hope you both have fun and learn a lot too.

Cinnamon's basic's class was taught by a group from Pet Behavior Solutions. I liked it so much better than her puppy class at PetsMart.

It sounds like a lot of the same type of training methods. Now Cinnamon has never had a problem getting along with other dogs in fact her problem is the opposite she is overly excited to play with them. She is a big hit at daycare everyone loves her and she them.

She really learned to focus better with this type of method. I am hoping to have enough enrollees to get to take intermediate from them in the fall on this side of town. If not we will make the 40 minute drive. They concentrated much more on everyday living skills then other things.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

interesting approach. It must feel a little less stressful for you and Snicks to be in a class specifically dealing with your issues, rather than feeling like the "problem" in a group. I hope things continue to improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast