Sarcoptic mange question

Thread: Sarcoptic mange question

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

DefaultSarcoptic mange question

Chesapeake Bay Retriever rescue called me this morning and ask if I would be willing to pick up and foster two dogs from Houston when I pass through there in 2 weeks. The only concern is that one of the dogs has sarcoptic mange. That is the mange that can be passed on to other dogs. I have no experience with this condition (although I have treated dogs with demodectic mange) and was looking for any advice I could get.

Both dogs are going to be treated if I agree to take them in. They will receive Ivermectin for 12 days as well as full body dipping and antibiotics.

My concerns are,

Will the dogs still be contagious after the 12 day treatment?

Will I be putting the seniors that are here at risk even though the CBR's will be in confinment when they arrive home?

Will I contaminate the new truck I plan to buy while in Colorado/Texas with the mites that cause this condition?

I have to answer CBR rescue by this evening in order to start the treatment in time for it to be finnished by the time I arrive in Houston. CBR rescue will be paying for the treatment and all follow up care and meds.

I just don't want to put the dogs here (especially the seniors) at risk. My vet is not in the office today and I need anyone that may have had first hand experience with this to help me with any info they could provide. It will mean the difference between these two 1 year old pups getting a chance at a new life and being put down at the shelter.

Thanks for any advice. I will be cross posting this to all forums in order to get the most exposure.
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sarcoptic mange question

Sorry I don't have any experience with this but here is some stuff I found online. Hopefully someone with personal experience will reply eventually.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...tic_mange.html
    http://www.dr-dan.com/sarcopt.htm
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=764

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I don't have experience scabies so I'm no help at all about the mange question. Sorry. But when exactly are you passing through Houston, and is there anything that I could do (as a local here) to help out? Feel free to PM me about it if there is.

Ursula
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

krisinme is offline Senior Member

My Hoover got it from laying in the ground near where a fox goes in our yard. We caught it early and the remedy was revolution. I gave him three doses I think I week or two apart. After just one dose he felt so much better. I also treated my other dog just in case.