strained/torn tendon in wrist

Thread: strained/torn tendon in wrist

Defaultstrained/torn tendon in wrist

Hi All,

I first posted on the health board but thought I might get more responses here.

I haven't been on this board in a while but I wanted some input on my lab Sidda. About 3 months ago while butt tucking down the basement stairs she jumped from the 5th step and landed on her leg funny. After plenty of crying, an emergency vet trip and finally a trip to our regular vet she had a spint put on for 9 weeks. After the splint came off she had a soft cast for about two weeks. She just got the cast off on monday and she still will barely walk on it. When she does put pressure on it it still bends backwords and looks awkward but it doesn't seem to hurt her.

So my vet talked to an orthopedic vet and he said to give it three weeks and if it is not better we should look into surgery. He said it doesn't matter how it looks as long as she is comfortable walking on it. The surgery however would be in her wrist. The only way to repair this joint is to have it fused. Meaning it then stays straight and doesn't bend at all. I am very nervous to do this surgery! thoughts? anyone had an experience with this?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Blondedog Guest

DefaultRe: strained/torn tendon in wrist

Our old dog had exactly the same thing happen to her wrist. It never healed properly. Our only option was to have the joint fused. It didn't seem to bother her it just looked like she had a really big foot. She was still able to chase the neighbours cat We didn't want to put her through the stress of another surgery she had 2 previously for cancer.