Epi Flynn: Like dealing with a mentally disturbed child
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epi Flynn: Like dealing with a mentally disturbed child

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultEpi Flynn: Like dealing with a mentally disturbed child

Most of the time he "gets" everything said to him.* But a lot of the time his body betrays him.* Like a human child who is so sleepy they fumble and stumble around wanting this or that when all they really need is to be soothed to sleep (at a natural sleep time).

When Flynnie is in one of these modes, he paces and paws and prances and jumps up and he will not be settled.

Although it can be aggravating, it is more heartbreaking, his restlessness.

When does this young dog find peace?* When does he find his own comfort, as we cannot always be present to provide it for him?

Between seizures, he is a marvelous companion.* Alert, playful, challenging (just ask Paddy about challenging!), loving, silly,... all the attributes of behavour we enjoy in our labs.

But the underlying, "volcano about to erupt" is so evident! It's not always easy to carve out special comfort time for him, although, he always has his head on my pillow at night.* This seems to be the time he seems to be most relaxed... sleeping on his back, head on pillow, all four legs up in the air like flags of surrender.

Okay...... rambling here...... but I know some of you understand what I'm talking about.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Epi Flynn: Like dealing with a mentally disturbed child

A little sad, but so sweet.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Awww, sweet, sweet Flynnie. That's not my experience of Theo. Usually he's all Lab, all the time, except for that brief, ugly few moments every five months or so when the eruption occurs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Hugs for you and Flynnie

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

There are some herbal solutions that will help him relax in the restless moments. Check Vitamin Cottage, Wild Oats, etc. Look for ones that are for anxiety relief.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Oh Nance, we love your Flynn and just send him lots of hugs.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Awwww... Nance, you're doing such a marvelous job taking care of Flynn. He is so lucky to be in your family.

zgirls is offline Senior Member

Oh, Nance, I know .....had a little poodle who had epilepsy .........you and your husband are so good with him.....a guardian angel led him to you all.......(((((((((hugs))))))))))
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

Poor guy. I never had any warning with Tucson.

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

I don't want to start a lot of flames on this.* *Believe me, I am still struggling with my vet on this one.* *And I have had Reba to at least 3 vets and they all tell me there is no connection.* *Take this as maybe being worth nothing.

But Reba's pacing, circling, licking, anxiety have virtually ceased with her thyroid meds.* *She did not really have a lot of skin issues other than two or so little bumps.* And she had some ear issues going on.* *But her T3 thyroid level was low on 2 consecutive blood tests.* *She is on a twice-a-day, inexpensive thyroid medicine.* *She goes about 6 months between seizures and her anxiety is virtually gone.*

Before this her seizures were preceded with pacing, circling and licking so intense she licked not only her legs and paws, but the area surrounding her, making the bedding or sofa arm soaking wet.

I also tried different dog foods and am using VanPatten Venison and Rice.* *Her ears are generally good.* *This is another observation.* *She has never had a seizure when her ears were good.*

My heart goes out to you and Flynn.* * I hope there is a solution somewhere for him.* Hugs to Flynn and to you. *
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast