Help - Advice for semi long car travel?

Thread: Help - Advice for semi long car travel?

snicksmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp - Advice for semi long car travel?

Snicks loves to go for short rides in the car.* Really loves it.

However, she gets very stressed when going for a long ride.* We've tried using a seat belt harness, her crate, keeping her in the back of my 4Runner with a pet barrier, etc.

She hangs her head and her ears are flat down on her head.* She whines and sometimes trembles a bit.

This Friday she will be going on a 2 1/2 hour ride with us.* I'm not normally a fan of medicating, but is there anything I can give her that might make her want to sleep or to calm her?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Sue & Snicks in New Hampshire

"I got the ball Mom....!!!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Help - Advice for semi long car travel?

I don't know of any meds to give her, or that I would give her any meds at all, but have you tried giving her toys in her crate. One thing we normally do for Larry on long car rides is make up a good Kong toy, filled with smashed banana, yogurt, kibble, etc. We freeze it, and give it to him for the ride. It keeps him occupied for quite awhile. Just a thought...

Our vet recommended benadryl for Dutch, but it didn't work. Then she suggested Dramamine ... it worked. I took him on a walk and gave it to him about 30 minutes before leaving.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have to medicate my springer b/c she gets very anxious, I took her to the vet and they suggested something that would take care of the nausea (she would vomit every time we traveled) and also relax her. *She looks awful on the meds but it works well and it seems to wear off once she gets out and runs around a bit.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I would ask your vet about the Dramamine. If she likes short rides, then it doesn't seem like it's behavioral/emotional/learned--it could well be motion sickness.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I suggest LOTS of exercise ande fetching and/or swimming and fetching just before the trip.

Then maybe if there's a park halfway there, another 15 minute rest break, fetching break, before continuing on.

The tireder they are, the better.

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748