Skipping Meals

Thread: Skipping Meals

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultSkipping Meals

I have been working with my dog a bit, and I have noticed he has started to skip meals. When you are working your dogs, do you notice they don't eat as much? I have had food spoil on me before, but I am not sure if this is the issue, or just the fact that he is working more. He will eat the food, and has never been a ravenous eater, and sometimes would only eat once a day, even though offered 2x a day. Yet I have noticed He is not eating the whole day. Acts fine, not acting sick, any thoughts?

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mine will often skip meals. He's a free feeder, so I just make sure there is always food in the bowl. He usually eats at the same time every day (10 pm at night!?!) but he will often skip a meal. It certainly seems to be dictated by how much exercise he has had that day - he's not a glutton, he's not really driven by food. (Unless it has a whiff of tuna or salmon to it, then he's a pig!) I don't worry too much about his food intake, he regulates himself.

I could learn something from him, I think!

Bev.

I could learn something from him, I think!
    You and me both!

I am just a worry wart, and hate to see him starve!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy McCracken View Post
    he's not a glutton, he's not really driven by food.
    Bev - are you sure he's a Lab? bwaahha... just kidding. Milly could learn a thing or two from him though!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Shannon -- how old is your Lab, what's his weight, how many cups/day are you feeding, and how many kcals/cup in the food you're using.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Pitch is 2yrs of Age
    Weighs about 94-97 lbs
    Feed him 4 cups of food a day, 2 cups in the morning, 2 cups dinner
    Per cup of food 522 kcal per cup of food, so 2088 kcal.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Pitch is 2yrs of Age
    Weighs about 94-97 lbs
    Feed him 4 cups of food a day, 2 cups in the morning, 2 cups dinner
    Per cup of food 522 kcal per cup of food, so 2088 kcal.
    Thanks!!

Gosh, that sounds like a LOT of kcalories for that size Lab. We feed Costco's Kirkland (similar to Diamond Naturals, made by the same company). The info on their bags for recommended daily feeding is a LITTLE bit higher than most dogs need BUT not AS unreasonable as that on many other brands.

For dogs in the 80-100 lbs. range, they recommend 3.5 - 4 cups of food daily. Kcals/cup are 393/cup so that amounts to a range of 1366.5 to 1572 kcals/day. Since your Lab is midway in that weight range, let's say 3/4 of the way between 80 and 100 lbs., that would be about 153 kcals more than the 1366.5 kcals at 80 lbs. Adding them together = about 1520 kcals/day -- but you're feeding almost 500 kcals/day MORE than my bag recommends.

Maybe you have one of the rare self-regulating Labs and he's trying to tell you -- "don't give me so much!"

As I said, IMO my food mf'r is a little too generous, especially when compared to recommendations in sources such as the nutrition chapters in the UC-Davis Book of Dogs .

My Puff, 63 lbs, is a fairly active Lab (60 min. offleash walk every morning in a nature preserve with 30-40 retrieves, some VERY long) plus 2 other brief exercise periods a day and, in summer, some swimming retrieves. My bag says 2 3/4 cups for a dog of her weight; Puff does quite well on 2 1/4 cups/day.

Of course, a great deal of food requirements depends on that individual dog's particular metabolism as well as their energy demands from exercise, cold temps, etc.

A recent GREAT very pertinent longterm study by the food scientists at Nestle-Purina used Labs as subjects divided into 2 groups.

They fed one member of a matched pair however much it wanted to eat for 15 minutes and the other member 75% of that amount. All the Labs in the 75% group lived significantly longer and had significantly fewer health problems. So, if you must err, underfeeding is best for the health and longevity of your Lab.

I'm going to ETA this post later when I can find a link to something relevant to this that I recently posted along these same lines that may be worthwhile for you to consider.

Be right back.

ETA: http://forum.justlabradors.com/showthread.php?t=1566

Much of it may be relevant but scroll down to the bottom for the Suggestions.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 03-18-2009 at 12:12 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey is kind of weird with her eating habits. She doesn't eat a lot and sometimes will randomly choose to just not eat. I give her the food, if she doesn't eat it, I'll pick it up and try giving to her 15 minutes later. If she doesn't eat it again, then it's nothing until the next meal.

During the summer, she'll sometimes skip a whole days' worth of food, but then the next day she's back to normal. She's had all the tests done at the vet and has no other signs of anything going on, so basically I just need to monitor it and obviously if she doesn't eat for a week, then it's time to take her to the vet.

Some dogs are just like that. In the wild, dogs will skip days' worth of food, so it makes sense, really.

Going to see what he does, thanks for the info. Right now I am going to guess maybe he is the odd lab that might be self regulating. He has never been one to inhale all of his food. We give him in my eyes a decent food, so that might have something to do with it too. Thanks again for your kind words and thoughts.

-Shannon