Moving backward...

Thread: Moving backward...

DefaultMoving backward...

Allie will be two in August and she has really been a good girl until this week. I baked cookies on Sunday and she ate 2 off the counter with me in the kitchen (my back was to her), i caught her and corrected her. She did it again later that night and I suprised her and I thought that would take care of it. Last night she grabbed a bag of chips of the counter and then a piece of garlic bread off the counter this morning. Any tips on how to stop this behavior? When i try to plant something and wait she knows i am waiting and won't do it...

On a side note I have been using a prong collar to walk her and she is doing much better. She still freaks out when she sees another dog but it is getting better...slow steps with that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Moving backward...

Have you checked her for worms? if she has just started stealing food that would be my first thought.

She still freaks out when she sees another dog
    In what way does she 'freak out'?

I haven't had her checked for worms since her yearly exam last year, she is on heartguard...how would food stealing be sign of worms? just wondering how they connect.

When Allie sees another dog and we are walking she crys, lunges forward (does this less now) and hackles will stand up (this happens less now too). I have had her in a puppy playschool and she plays well with other dogs, has never shown signs of aggression. The first day she went to playschool she would have her hackles up and showed her teeth once or twice with her tail between her legs, once she adjusted she was fine and didn't need to be corrected. Last week a small cocker spaniel came up to us and Allie just sniffed her which was a huge break through. She did start to lunge forward after a few minutes of sniffing but I put her into a sit and she stopped and I let them greet again. it has been a real battle getting her to walk well. I worry most about dogs not on leashes in our neighborhood b/c I don't want Allie's body language to be seen as aggression and for her to end up being biten.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by alliekate
    I haven't had her checked for worms since her yearly exam last year, she is on heartguard...how would food stealing be sign of worms? just wondering how they connect.

Having worms could make her extra hungry, I think (because the worms would be taking some of her nutrician from her body).

IMHO, the best plan is not to leave any food in reach. If you can sucessfully do that for long enough, she won't associate the counter with a place to find food.

That having been said, if I leave food on the counter, Jacob would never think to find it, but Aly would eventually find it, counter surf, and eat it. They just don't associate the counter with a place they would find food if I wan't standing right there.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

That does make sense, she really hasn't counter surfed that much then when she found the cookies which were well within her reach she must have realized "hey there is food up there" which caused the repeat behavior. I will have to keep a no food counter top from now on.

Thanks!