Frontline Weight Question..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontline Weight Question..

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrontline Weight Question..

Abbey is RIGHT at the cutoff between the medium and large sized groups for Frontline. The medium is 23-44 and the large is 44-88. Abbey fluctuates between 42 and 45 lbs during the summer and winter.

Should I save myself the money and just get the medium sized ones?? Does it really make that much of a difference for an extra pound over the medium limit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Why not ask your vet?

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

justine is offline Senior Member

That's my plan eventually. Just seeing what people thought.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

It's been awhile since I've had to do this, but since I have to start thinking about it again I might as well refresh my memory.

I use interceptor during the 6 warmer months of the year, and Baloo is 69 pounds. I didn't like that he, as a 70 pound dog, would be getting the same dose as a dog 30 pounds heavier (weight range is 50-100 pounds). That just didn't sit right with me at all. So, I changed his dosing to combining two of the smaller pills in order to more accurately dose for his weight.

So, I give him one pill intended for 11-25 pound dogs, and one pill intended for 26-50 pound dogs. Maybe you could talk to the vet about doing something like that? Although to be honest with you, if I were to use flea/tick prevention I would stick with the lower dose ad leave it at that.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Hmm, couldn't tell you, but I would venture to guess one pound is not going to make a huge difference. Probably depends on how much protection you want...at the upper end of the weight limit, that dosage is therapeutic, but not with as much room to fluctuate as the lower limit. A few lbs may be enough to make that dose outside of the therapeutic level in the distribution, so if you are really concerned about how well protected she is, you may want to switch to a slightly higher dose.

I would check with your vet though.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I go with the lesser weight. Nellie is 97 lbs. and gets up to 88 lb. dose.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Are you in an area with lots of ticks or fleas? If so use the higher dose, if not use the lower one.
    Alicia

sarah is offline Senior Member

I would give her the medium one. But check with your vet of course
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

hersheygal is offline Junior Member

I was giving my pup the up-to-44 lb dose. Suddenly, I noticed ticks, a new one every day! I didn't realize how fast he was growing. After just a few days, he was weighed at the vet, and he was 49 lbs. Luckily, he was only a week away from his next dosing time, so I bumped him up. He was only 6 months at the time, so I knew he would continue to grow. I didn't worry about being at the low end of the weight limit.

But isn't it amazing that just a few lbs make the difference? Those ticks were able to latch right on once he was over the limit. Also goes to show how prevalent ticks are in my area.

What happened? What did you decided to do?

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

I know I'm new here, but I think I know the answer to this one ...

We have 2 cats, one is tiny, like 3kgs and the other is a big boof, at least 6 or 7 kgs. The kitty Advocate comes in up to 4kg or over 4 kg, but we didn't want to buy two different ones all the time because it's quite expensive.

So we asked our vet, and he said that if we bought the larger dose it would mean that Jacques (the big one) was covered for 30 days like the packet says, and Bridget (the little one) would be covered for longer, but if we did it again in 30 days it wouldn't matter. But he said if we used the smaller one on Jacques he wouldn't be covered for the month and there would be a chance he could get fleas/worms etc.

Hope that helps, sorry to be so forward, I know I'm only new here, but I sincerely hope this info helps - and metric, sorry !!
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast