new mommy

Thread: new mommy

Defaultnew mommy

I'm a new "mommy" with some pretty basic questions. First, we got Tug 1 week ago and he's 8 weeks old. I know he's just a baby, but he's so frustrating. He'll play with his toys for all of about 3 minutes then he instantly goes for your hands. And if he gets them, he latches on and then shakes his head furiously and growls. My fiance and I have been incredibly consistent. We take his mouth, hold it shut (gently), look him right in the eye, and firmly say, "NO BITE!" He looks at you, and then immediately lungs for your nose, hands, face...anything. Does he think we're playing a game? Should we just continue what we're doing? UGG!!!

Also, he has a toy that he latches on to and he tries to breat feed from it. When it doesn't work he gets incredibly upset, whines, cries, and then goes on a rampage and bites whatever he can find. I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal...and how long it generally lasts!!! ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: new mommy

First, Tug is a Cutie!

Sounds pretty normal to me! Lab puppies are very nippy. Expect it to last until he's roughly 5 months old and has his adult teeth. BUT you still need to be consistent with your "no bites". There are several different methods that might help. For us it was making a LOUD yelp when Sami bit us. Then we would say "no bite" and immediately ignore her.

If your puppy is getting really wound up when you play with him, stand up straight and ignore him. This lets him know that you don't want to play that way. It's important that you stand up straight -- leaning forward is a playful stance to a dog.

Do you have any books on labs and training? If not, I suggest you RUN to your local library and get several. It will help you to learn what's normal, what to expect, etc.

Also you might want to check out the Puppy section of the boards -- you'll see that biting comes up ALOT!

Dani is offline Senior Member

This is typical lab play. It will subside with consistency and then get bad again when he looses his baby teeth.

1 week seems like forever...and time does stand still; however, it gets better as you go. Training, exercise, games, etc. will help get your pup into a routine and him understanding his role in your pack.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He's adorable....and normal. Another thing to try is re-directing him. When he goes for your hands, put a toy in his mouth instead; that'll give him something else to chew on instead of your hands.

And I've heard of puppies trying to breast-feed from a stuffed animal. How frustrating it must be for him...aaawwww.

Hang in there!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I agree, head on over to the puppy section here. You'll find you're not alone and there's tons of advice over there.

Tug is adorable and I love his name

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Welcome to the board and Tug is just a cutie. We went through the same thing when we got Prince at 9 weeks. He is slowly growing out of it, but we still have to work with him. He's almost 14 weeks now.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

We went through the same thing, I thought Toby was part alligator when he was that age. It got better with time, consistencey, lots of "NO BITE!"s and "OUCH!"es. Our obedience trainer showed up how to wrap his lips around his own teeth when you hold his mouth shut so that he feels their effect himself (not so hard as to break skin) and that is very effective.

Maybe they have to be frustrating in order to balance out the fact that they're so cute it should be illegal. Your pup is no exception, he's a doll.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]