Anyone out there to talk me off the ledge?

Thread: Anyone out there to talk me off the ledge?

Full House is offline Member

DefaultAnyone out there to talk me off the ledge?

We are supposed to pick up a new puppy tomorrow and I am having VERY mixed feelings. I am normally a calm person and I am experiencing real anxiety!

Here's the story: I have three kids, ages 12, 10 and 10 (twins). I have a very mellow 5 1/2 year old black lab who we all love to pieces - love as much as anyone could love a dog. He is mild mannered and easy going. After all these years of hard work with little kids and young dogs, life has finally settled into some semblance of manageable calm. We can go places, do things, etc.

It seemed like a good time for a puppy - our dog is a good age - young enough to play but old enough to set a good example, plus we have the idea that as he ages a younger dog could keep him active - and our kids are old enough to be involved and help. I work from home. Our dog's breeder has a litter and we have a deposit on a beautiful yellow male. We all love dogs. My kids know all about it and are psyched. My husband is on board. We have always imagined getting a second dog when the time was right. Sounds good, right?

So why am I in a panic!? I am worried that he won't be a good dog (or as good a dog) or that he will end up being dominant over my passive male, and I am worried about a daily Iditarod in walking to giant oafs, no matter how well trained they will become. I am worried about the months of hard work (slavery) to a young puppy - puppies are very cute but very awful! - I am worried. I am worried about upsetting the cart. Like, haven't slept for days! All I can think is that I am going to ruin my family and why can't I leave well enough alone!

There are other pieces too like guilt over a pure bred, expensive dog when there are so many dogs in need - we are a foster home and it seems somehow wrong to buy a dog. That said, we want a well bred lab and this is how you get one.

So, I am thinking about being the super bad guy and calling it off, but maybe this is normal and just nerves? Any input?

Anything - ANYTHING reassuring or otherwise would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Full House is offline Member

Hmmm. Looks like this Lab forum isn't as active as it once was. I used to be a regular but probably people are on social media now?

Annabellam is offline Member

You sound pretty much ready and prepared with your whole family on board. I think you're just anxious. So long as the old and new lab are compatible i do not see a problem. I think it would have been better if it was of the opposite sex just to ensure that the older dog does not feel threatened. If you do decide to get the puppy you'll need to introduce them well so that they learn to accept each other. If you really still have a strong bad feeling about getting a new pup, you could put it aside. It'll need love and commitment. I'll trust you to make the right choice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Hmmm. Looks like this Lab forum isn't as active as it once was. I used to be a regular but probably people are on social media now?
    No kidding! Where has everyone gone???
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3