NLR - How to socialize older dogs?

Thread: NLR - How to socialize older dogs?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR - How to socialize older dogs?

I've married into a family of doggie lovers, which is wonderful, as my in-laws are always happy to puppy sit for anyone and have puppy proofed their den and back yard.

However, this can cause problems when 4 dogs are suddenly visiting at the same time!

My in-laws have taken a family member's 3 year old male Golden Retriever "Liam". Liam is a very good dog, very pleasing and friendly with people. However, he can be quite possessive of them as well. He was not socialized at all as a puppy, other than with people. He does live with another smaller lap dog, but he doesn't play with her at all.

Anyhow, my BIL is selling his house, and so for the open house yesterday he brought his 10 month old male Boxer "Rocky" and Rottweiler "Bruno" to my in-law's house for a few hours.

The minute Liam was in the room with Rocky and Bruno he freaked out at them... he growls and immediately starts to hump Rocky. He lunged at them, and we near had a full on fight on our hands. My FIL was tempted to let them duke it out, but since Liam's owners are away he didn't want to make that decision for them and didn't want to have to cover any emergency vet bills! So we separated the dogs for the afternoon.

CoCo could play with any of them with no negative behavior, I guess her size and maybe gender makes her non threatening. The only thing is that she loves to pull on Liam's long hair, which he might not appreciate!

Sooooo... does anyone have any advice or ideas on how Liam might be socialized NOW? Is it too late? When Liam's owners return from their trip, my FIL wants to try to let him "get to know" the other two. Any suggetions on how best to do this?
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: NLR - How to socialize older dogs?

1. it is never to late to socialize a dog but it must be done in the proper environment. That means Liam needs to be around other dogs who are calm submissive noit necesarly the two you want him to get along with he will learn from other dogs how to get along with all dogs.

2. humping is not sexual it was Liam trying to establish dominance over the other dogs...he was aserting himself as the alpha dog.

3. before he goes to "meet" others dogs excersise,exercise,exercise put his mind in a tired state so he can do nothing but be calm submissive.

good luck

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NLR - How to socialize older dogs?

Thank you for the advice! Do you think it would be useful to try to socialize Liam with just one of those two at a time? Maybe the Boxer first, after both of them have been tired out?

Yes, I knew at the time the humping was a dominance thing. I was just shocked that Liam was so assertive... the stereotype would have been for the Boxer to be more assertive, so it surprised us.

I will pass this on to my FIL and Liam's owners!
    ~Jo & CoCo