I want a dog, but.....
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a dog, but.....

Polar is offline Junior Member

DefaultI want a dog, but.....

I've been researching the purchase of a lab. I was told a " Hobby" breeder would be my best bet. Why are Hobby breeders asking for more than $3500 for a dog? You don't get breeding rights, they force you to get him nuertered.

Why do all hobby breeders have the same key words on their sites? They self admit that the litter is for them to get more dogs into their kennel. The puck of the litter, they keep. So why am I being asked to pay $3800 for a dog that is less than show?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Don't get stuck on terms. You want a breeder that does something with their dogs and does all the clearances.

Prices are determined on region of the country. Typically its based on how much stud fees cost, prices of vet/breeding expenses in their area.

My show quality bitch, from what I feel are some of the best lines in the country, was only $1500. You must not be looking in the right place.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

What is the legal meaning of "hobby" as it pertains to dog breeding where you are? Where I am it means nothing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I did find one in my state. They show there dogs and participate in sports. After an hour conversation with her, I feel comfortable. Price wasn't over inflated either. Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for bargain basement pricing. I want a healthy dog with good temperament. Color makes me no difference. But why pay $3500 when I found the same quality for $1300? Lol.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Prices really are all over the board, sometimes even w/in regions. It's extremely frustrating to see breeders charging 2x more for puppies produced by puppies (10 -12 mo old "studs" w/o clearances), but if the people buy into it, oh well.
    Bottom line is it pays to shop around and do all your homework.
    Hobby should mean just that... it's a hobby, not a business (for profit). Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Eresh is offline Senior Member

I don't know of very many reputable lab breeders that charge THAT much for a well bred pup. Of course it depends on location too, but in my area they're around $1500-$2000

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I'd be really interested in finding out WHO wanted $3500 for a puppy. I know a friend contacted a place in MD that wanted that much, but while they have a good rep among some show folks, I find them to be a glorified puppy mill.

BTW, I think the term "hobby" breeder is one that's made up by some of the BYB's to make them seem more legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
    I don't know of very many reputable lab breeders that charge THAT much for a well bred pup. Of course it depends on location too, but in my area they're around $1500-$2000
    Read the web sites. Lol. One breeder wanted $4800 untrained. $5000 trained. Can you train my dog for $200?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    I'd be really interested in finding out WHO wanted $3500 for a puppy. I know a friend contacted a place in MD that wanted that much, but while they have a good rep among some show folks, I find them to be a glorified puppy mill.

BTW, I think the term "hobby" breeder is one that's made up by some of the BYB's to make them seem more legitimate.
    I'd be happy to show you my email regarding they wanted $3800. Can I post it here or would that be against the rules?

I Dont's care. It was EMLabradors.com that wanted $3500. Sorry, I made a mistake when I said $3800. Prices are all over the place. I'm paying $1300 for mine. I think that might be high when I see $500 with the same names in the pedigree.

What do I know? I paid $2500 for a German Shepherd that I had to put down because he bit me a dozen times and tried to kill the wife. He actually tried to kill her. Thank god I was home.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast