Sibling puppies.. Juliet & Meesha.. HELP!

Thread: Sibling puppies.. Juliet & Meesha.. HELP!

Salma is offline Junior Member

DefaultSibling puppies.. Juliet & Meesha.. HELP!

Good day everyone..

Iam glad being on board with u all here to share experience and info about labs..

We have Cheetos a golden retriever who is 2.6 yrs now, and three weeks ago we were so excited to bring Meesha home.. a beautiful 40 days Lab female puppy.. we were so happy with the new family member and the super funny and lovely experience..

One week after this.. I had a phone call from my friend who owns the mother of Meesh, telling me that he had a puppy who was losing weight, rejecting food, and looking v unhappy and sick.. I had to drive to his house to help.. I took him with the poor puppy to the vet, who confirmed it is parvo!!!

I already had alot of info about parvo but didnt come across any living case of it.. the vet told us everything about the case, and insisted she needs a real intense hard work..

At this point my friend told me I have to take her with me to my house as he doesnt have the time or the ability to take care of her.. I couldnt do nothing but taking her..
    Bought the medicines, went back home, started the serious work..

You wouldnt imagine the hours I spent in tears for her.. she was too weak.. too sleepy.. no food.. dehydrated.. yet she was the icon of beauty and love to me..

To sum up.. now she is a week after defeating parvo the most beautiful 57 days old "Juliet".. and I decided I will never give her away.. I would take the responsibility and raise the same litter two sibling sisters Meesha and Juliet besides my piece of heart the golden Cheetos..

Now after this long intro guys.. if anyone can help me with any info about raising sibling pups of the same litter I would b very grateful..
    Wish me luck plz

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lubdubdub is offline Junior Member

Please don't get offended but your friend seems a little irresponsible. If he's going to breed his labs he should have been well prepared of the costs and problems that may happen when it comes to newborns. I don't see why he would force you to take her though either, when it should be his responsibility to make sure all pups are healthy before going to their new homes. However, I'm glad to hear she survived and hope that Cheeto & Meesh were not exposed.

I had 2 sibling dogs when I was much younger, they were lab-chows and the owner who was giving them away from the paper had told us that if we got his last male, I would have to take his sister too because they were inseparable. We were told before that we shouldn't get dogs from the same litter because you really want to bond individually with the pup and give them your full attention. I've also heard that two litter-mates will bond more with each other than with you---this could be a good or bad thing. Depends really. But we disregarded this and took the challenge. In my situation, we had both sexes. Our male was quite docile, relaxed, and calm while the female was always jumping and wanting to play. There was no problem at all. I wouldn't suggest keeping if you had 2 males because there tends to be aggression and forms of dominance as the dogs get older.. I'm not sure how two females would be but I don't think there would be many problems, maybe someone else has something to say about having 2 females. Just make sure to fix them when the time comes, or you'll have quite a handful when they have those times of year

Lastly, when we had our pups they often slept next to each other but as they got older we started to separate them, do separate training, have separate beds, and a lot of 1 on 1 play time. I think giving them equal attention helped us a lot, they were so well behaved and never felt jealous between each other. Having multiple dogs in general, can sometimes lead to insecurity aggression and anxiety if they feel that one dog is better than the other so just make sure to watch out for those things! Best wishes, hope this could help a little

Polar is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lubdubdub View Post
    Please don't get offended but your friend seems a little irresponsible. If he's going to breed his labs he should have been well prepared of the costs and problems that may happen when it comes to newborns. I don't see why he would force you to take her though either, when it should be his responsibility to make sure all pups are healthy before going to their new homes. However, I'm glad to hear she survived and hope that Cheeto & Meesh were not exposed.

I had 2 sibling dogs when I was much younger, they were lab-chows and the owner who was giving them away from the paper had told us that if we got his last male, I would have to take his sister too because they were inseparable. We were told before that we shouldn't get dogs from the same litter because you really want to bond individually with the pup and give them your full attention. I've also heard that two litter-mates will bond more with each other than with you---this could be a good or bad thing. Depends really. But we disregarded this and took the challenge. In my situation, we had both sexes. Our male was quite docile, relaxed, and calm while the female was always jumping and wanting to play. There was no problem at all. I wouldn't suggest keeping if you had 2 males because there tends to be aggression and forms of dominance as the dogs get older.. I'm not sure how two females would be but I don't think there would be many problems, maybe someone else has something to say about having 2 females. Just make sure to fix them when the time comes, or you'll have quite a handful when they have those times of year

Lastly, when we had our pups they often slept next to each other but as they got older we started to separate them, do separate training, have separate beds, and a lot of 1 on 1 play time. I think giving them equal attention helped us a lot, they were so well behaved and never felt jealous between each other. Having multiple dogs in general, can sometimes lead to insecurity aggression and anxiety if they feel that one dog is better than the other so just make sure to watch out for those things! Best wishes, hope this could help a little
    I had two intact males. Got along super awesome. I hate when people quote what they heard instead of experience.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above about the friend being very irresponsible and hopefully never breeds again (breeding isn't all roses, stuff happens and it's your job to deal with it!). good thing you were there to help.

it is possibly to raise two well rounded litter mates (or two puppies even if not related) but it's a lot of work.

Ensure to spend daily time with each one (separated from the other). don't let them spend all day together (in crates/puppy room) they should have their own space as much as possibly.

treat them as separate dogs. separate (one on one) training, separate socialization (not always tackling the big world as a duo, take them out separately to meet new people, dogs, places). they can play and interact for sure but you want them to not spend 23-24 hours side by side together to bond first to each other and secondarily to you. they need a chance to become "their own dog" with their own personality.