Health issues with dilute labs?

Thread: Health issues with dilute labs?

Dreamer05 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHealth issues with dilute labs?

I'm new to the forum and don't want to spark a debate. However, I have had my eye on the red fox and charcoal/silver "labs". I like the way they look and most people agree that they have the same loving tempermant as any other color lab. My question is, for those of you who have or been around the labs, do they have more sensitive skin than say your typical chocolate lab? TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Fox red is a shade of yellow. When doing color genetic tests, they test as a yellow lab, just a DARK shade. The gene that produces silver, the d-gene, is foreign to Labradors and brought in by breeding in weimeraners who normally carry the d-gene. Their AKC papers were falsified long ago, so on paper they "appear" to be labs. Due to the d-gene, they are prone to color dilution alopecia.

As far as temperament of silvers, most breeders are in-breeding to keep the color or if they are out-crossing, they are still breeding for color, not focusing on temperament or breeding to the standard. IF you absolutely can't support the 3 true colors and do go for a silver, please make sure that you pick a breeder doing ALL THE CLEARANCES! Hips, elbows, hearts, eye exams, PRA, EIC, CNM, DM...ALL of them, not just 1 or 2 of them.

I would say if you want a "rare" color, find a breeder that produces the red shade of yellow.

Thanks for your input. There is a breeder I've been looking into. Her dogs have the pedigree on her page as well as clearance of the things you mentioned. Some of them don't have all though which is odd to me. One of the reds has these things listed;
    EIC- Carrrier....I would think that would be a deal breaker because wouldn't the pups be at risk?
    CNM-Clear
    CY-Clear
    DM-Clear
    HUU-Clear
    HNPK-Clear
    PKD-Clear
    OFA-Good

Is it missing anything?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Being an EIC carrier will not produce affected pups as long as it is bred to an EIC clear. Lacking in this list are elbows, heart echocardiogram, and PRA.
    IMO, any breeder that's breeding specifically for a 'fad' color (and likely charging more $ for them) is probably not the most reputable person to deal with.

Thanks for the input!

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Elbows, hearts and PRA are MUSTS. If they aren't done, you walk on the breeding.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

agree, fox red is an accepted and normal shade of yellow. silver is another story

But bottom line yes, look for a breeder that a MINIMUM does ALL relevant clearances (hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic, cmn). your list mentions just OFA but not if it's hips or elbows (should be BOTH). on BOTH parents. Ideally the breeder should also do something with their breeding dogs (they canon show a silver dog in conformation but they can do just about anything else with them! field, hunt, obedience, agility…). Pups should remain in the litter until 8 weeks and early socialization started. Sold on non breeding contract. they should ask YOU tons of question to get you the best fit puppy not just ask for your money

i couldn't edit my post: i have heard of silvers having both allergy and temperament issues. not sure you can do much about the allergy thing as they likely won't tell you if the parents have them and won't know if their puppies have had issues. But do ensure temperament by meeting the parents (at least the "mom" and find out if you can meet dad). again if they compete and are out and about with their dogs it will be easier to find out VS if the dogs just live at home as pets (or worse breeding dogs).

had to google as some of those I don't know. I wonder if they just get a DNA bundle test done…(my google did indicate these were dna tests). so while it sounds like they are doing tons…it'd still question it because most of these are not generally done for labs … unless I totally missed it.

DM: Degenerative Myelopathy (not clear on if this is something done in labs as I haven't heard of it)
    HUU: Hyperuricosuria ...

jadegrande is offline Junior Member