My lab is a little weird, does yours do this too?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lab is a little weird, does yours do this too?

sowa is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy lab is a little weird, does yours do this too?

Clover is my 4 year old yellow lab. I've always wondered about some of her weird behavior. I think she's just strange and there probably is no reason for it but maybe someone elses dog is the same? (I don't mean this is a bad way, I love my dog more then anything. I think she's just a silly dog I just often wonder why)

For starters, when she plays with her toys she cries, loudly. She's done this since she was a pup so she's not in pain or anything. Often I hear her go into the bedroom by herself where her bed is and hear the toy squeak then her whining loudly. This happens at least once a day. Weirdo.

She also has 2-3 toys that are special. She doesn't really destroy toys much anymore but when she was younger she'd kill all her toys and rip out the squeakers and just have them destroys except these 2-3 toys. They are dragons from pet smart, they're the same kind of toy but different shapes/colors. She's never damaged these toys at all. She always carries them around. She will NOT play tug with them. If you try and tug with her she drops it and looks concerned then gently tries to take it back. (any other toy she will rip your arm off to get) She also loves to show these toys off but gets very worried if you take it from her. She will get it back and run into her bed and hide it so you can't take it again lol. Also if you step on one and it squeals loudly she'll go running to the room to rescue the toy. It seems strange to me that dogs will favor one toy like this? None of my other dogs ever cared about a specific toy. (she has a ton of toys btw)

Just wondering if anyone else has a dog that does this too. Someone else suggested she's lonely but she lives with 2 cats who she plays with. Up until recently she's always lived with at least one other dog who she was best friends with. Unfortunately he passed away. Hoping to get my fox red lab pup by summer to be her new buddy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

I guess be glad your pooch has some toys she doesn't tear up.

Ruby has no respect for the good hard earned money I just spent on that......
    So she is limited to chuckit balls, elk antlers and thick horn things we get at pet smart - that's it. Not even tennis balls are safe for
    more than two minutes.

Dragons hu? Could you provide a link? I'd like to try one out on Ruby.

Thanks in advance.
    :Ron
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

I can't find them on the site, but they usually have them in stock in stores and I think I've seen them around other stores like Pet Valu

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SavvvyLu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by sowa View Post
    Clover is my 4 year old yellow lab. I've always wondered about some of her weird behavior. I think she's just strange and there probably is no reason for it but maybe someone elses dog is the same? (I don't mean this is a bad way, I love my dog more then anything. I think she's just a silly dog I just often wonder why)

For starters, when she plays with her toys she cries, loudly. She's done this since she was a pup so she's not in pain or anything. Often I hear her go into the bedroom by herself where her bed is and hear the toy squeak then her whining loudly. This happens at least once a day. Weirdo.

She also has 2-3 toys that are special. She doesn't really destroy toys much anymore but when she was younger she'd kill all her toys and rip out the squeakers and just have them destroys except these 2-3 toys. They are dragons from pet smart, they're the same kind of toy but different shapes/colors. She's never damaged these toys at all. She always carries them around. She will NOT play tug with them. If you try and tug with her she drops it and looks concerned then gently tries to take it back. (any other toy she will rip your arm off to get) She also loves to show these toys off but gets very worried if you take it from her. She will get it back and run into her bed and hide it so you can't take it again lol. Also if you step on one and it squeals loudly she'll go running to the room to rescue the toy. It seems strange to me that dogs will favor one toy like this? None of my other dogs ever cared about a specific toy. (she has a ton of toys btw)

Just wondering if anyone else has a dog that does this too. Someone else suggested she's lonely but she lives with 2 cats who she plays with. Up until recently she's always lived with at least one other dog who she was best friends with. Unfortunately he passed away. Hoping to get my fox red lab pup by summer to be her new buddy.
    The crying is excitement, mine does that randomly and we laugh at her. Maybe she thinks the dragons are her puppies! Dogs are definitely weird, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine eats everything she owns, I wish she'd take care of something like yours does

jertom is offline Senior Member

Rocky has to have something in his mouth. inside he has 7-8 toys and an old beef bone, outside it ranges from pieces of ice (winter here) to plastic bottles, sticks, tall weeds that he tears out of the ground, plant roots left over in the garden, broken glass bottle (that I took away) to who-knows.
    I think it's a Lab thing.

SavvvyLu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
    Rocky has to have something in his mouth. inside he has 7-8 toys and an old beef bone, outside it ranges from pieces of ice (winter here) to plastic bottles, sticks, tall weeds that he tears out of the ground, plant roots left over in the garden, broken glass bottle (that I took away) to who-knows.
    I think it's a Lab thing.
    Oh good! Mine isn't the only one who rips up roots! Lol

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

SavvvyLu, thanks for the toy pic.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Annabellam is offline Member

My neighbour had a dog that slept in a funny way like it had its legs up most of the time, but this was when it slept in its dog bed. I thought that was funny because the first time i saw it i actually thought it was sick or something. Yours sounds more hilarious though, especially with the squeaking when playing with the toys. I think they are all weird in their own way so you shouldn't be too surprised. For Sammy, i think it is his obsession with this one specific toy that i cannot simply hide. I do not understand.

jertom is offline Senior Member

Rocky got a pet store toy for Christmas; tennis ball on a rope, lasted 15 minutes.
    If you don't mind spending a couple extra bucks and want something that will last, here:
    Snoggz - Toys | Dublin Dog
    Rocky has two, inside or out, float, bounce in crazy ways,
    one was left floating on the pond for 2 days before I got it back.
    nice people there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby No! View Post
    I guess be glad your pooch has some toys she doesn't tear up.

Ruby has no respect for the good hard earned money I just spent on that......
    So she is limited to chuckit balls, elk antlers and thick horn things we get at pet smart - that's it. Not even tennis balls are safe for
    more than two minutes.

Dragons hu? Could you provide a link? I'd like to try one out on Ruby.

Thanks in advance.
    :Ron

I just found a Frisbee called Chewber, it's suppose to be more durable then Kong. Clover LOVES it. It's her "outside" toy. When I come home from school I let her out to pee and we play a game of frisbee. She often stops to chew on it and she hasn't broken it yet. (It's only been a week or so but still. ) You can also use it as a food/water dish if you're out and about
    http://petvalu.com/dog/toys/product/...ch-toy-chewber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast