Would lab pup jump over baby gate?

Thread: Would lab pup jump over baby gate?

ItsTangy is offline Junior Member

DefaultWould lab pup jump over baby gate?

Just wondering, if I leave a pup in the kitchen/dining area and section it off with a baby gate, would the pup be able to jump over the gate (2 ft tall)?
    My pom/peke mix used to be able to jump over a 4 ft gate and she was only about 12-14 inches tall. I think she does some sort of high speed running jump...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am going to also crate train him, but would also like to keep him loose sometimes in the kitchen area when we aren't home with our other pups so that he won't be the only one in the crate...

jertom is offline Senior Member

probably won't jump over, I'd be more concerned with knocking it down while standing on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Depends on the litter. Some are more bold than others. Funniest thing, normally I go from a 2' to a 4' expen w/ my litters at ~5-6 wks. This last time, I was able to keep w/ the 2' one, and like said above, had it not been supported, the pups could have knocked it over. My field friend was just shaking her head when she saw they only had the 2' one... Her pups have climbed out of a 4' one (one hurt her foot doing so) at ~6wks. So it really just depends on the pups, and how badly they want to the other side.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

ok! Will make sure to have the hubbs drill it in so it won't get knocked over instead of relying on tension.
    I guess this will be interesting and fun to watch if he does attempt to go over it....

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

They can, But my lab has always been good about respecting a gate as a boundary.
    Boy, she is rambunctious but the above and being able to leave her to guard the estate while were gone are wins.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

I hope "future Spot" will know his boundaries as well when it comes to the gate. I'd want to be able to leave him w/o having to crate him...I feel so bad putting them in the crates =(

Fish1 is offline Junior Member

As mentioned, they definitely can (at least some).

We used to keep ours in a good sized laundry room with tile floors and just gated at the exit. One day I came home and guess who met me right at the garage door The gate was still up, and perfectly fine when I went to the laundry room. She was 9 weeks old at the time.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTangy View Post
    I hope "future Spot" will know his boundaries as well when it comes to the gate. I'd want to be able to leave him w/o having to crate him...I feel so bad putting them in the crates =(
    Crates are good for dogs. If you don't use it for punishment they will / should see it as a den.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

ah I see...noted! That will he his little place then...
    thanks all!! Spot was born today! and out of the 6 pups (3 boys, 3 girls) it just so happens that one of the boys has some black spots on his thighs!!! They call it Angel kisses? Don't know which one we will get, I think the breeder will help us choose..but the one with the black spots would be perfect since my son has picked out the name Spot for him since before he was born! It was meant to be that one....