at what point do we no longer crate our girl during the day?

Thread: at what point do we no longer crate our girl during the day?

Swifterz is offline Junior Member

Defaultat what point do we no longer crate our girl during the day?

we have a healthy, happy, almost 2 year old (next month) black lab, Lucy.

we are always on the run. at the very least, she is in her crate from about 8:45am until 4:00pm monday-friday. she doesn't make a mess in there with very, very few exceptions, maybe once a month she will pee, i'm sure because she just couldn't hold it any longer. she goes in there willingly any time we say "house" and doesn't seem to mind.

when we're home she is always out. she sleeps in our bed. she gets plenty of attention. on weekends she is out and goes with us just about everywhere. i just feel bad because she spends so much time in there.

behavior wise, she has never chewed anything up or damaged anything. however, she is still a bit mischievous and gets socks and shoes out, will try to get things off the high counter-tops, etc. if there's food around, she wants it and if unsupervised will do anything to get it. we can put everything away and shut all doors except for the large main room.

at what point do people generally start leaving their labs out when they aren't home? i know we should be gone for maybe 10 minutes at a time, then 30 minutes, then an hour, and so on until hopefully she can be out all the time. we left her for 10 minutes the other day and came back and she was laying on the couch and hadn't touched a thing... but we are still worried. does anyone have any tips? is it time to try this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Just over 2 is when i started. a quick trip to store, then couple hours on weekend, then full day. Only took few trips before I gave it a shot for full day and no issues since

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Ruby began sleeping out of her crate at about 1+ years.
    She is 1 year, 9 months and we now leave her for 4 hours when we go to church on Sundays (we're in the band).

We leave out nothing that is not out normally. There is no way a napkin or any cardboard or paper product would would be safe.
    Oh and she come to work with us as we are self employed in a mom n pop shop
    So we're good now.

I wish I could change my user name to Good Ruby! :-)
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

there is no specific time, each dog is different.

you have to test it out. dog proof an area for her (so it's safe if she does do anything) and then start with short periods of time (30 minutes). give it a few weeks because sometimes they are "good" then after awhile test things. Pick your time to test, do it when she's had good amounts of exercise to increase the odds of success.

Honestly still having accidents in the crate between 9-4:30 is something to ponder - a healthy dog should be able to hold it in that long. I would HIGHLY recommend keeping the area you leave her loose in small and I would predict possibility of her having accidents if left too long if she is already doing so in the crate.

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Depends on the dog. I have a 3 1/2 year old who still doesn't have unsupervised house privileges.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

fburke is offline Senior Member

Mine were 3 and 4 years old I use to crate them until my older son moved in and needed the room I keep them in . I now put them in my down stairs bathroom it much bigger than the crate and that have a bed down there and its pretty cool. If I gave them the run of the house they would destroy something amazing what they can find and chew up.

Their 6 and 7 now I I still have keep them in my bathroom when I’m not home. It’s pretty funny because it’s also a laundry room and if the dryer is open or a cloths basket left within reach they will empty it to lay on the clothes and a few zippers have falling victim to their teeth. My wife was not amused at her brand new $179.00 North Face Jacket got ruined….lol

hdale91 is offline Junior Member

My pup is 5 months old and I had a couple of weeks off work and decided to see how she would go being unsupervised. TOUCH WOOD, I've had no problems thus far. I found if I leave my back door ajar (but secure) so she can come in and out, she is okay to be left alone. If I left her in her play pen area, she would cry and I would end up getting messages from my neighbour (who would come and take her to her place - thank god for amazing people!!). I started by leaving for 15 minutes, and gradually increased that time over the few weeks I had off and the longest she has been left unsupervised is 6 hours. The worst thing I've come home to is chewed up leaves on my floors...

jertom is offline Senior Member

Rocky is 1 yr. old and stays in the utility room with adjacent bath when I leave, he appears to just sleep when left alone, it also it tells him I'm leaving the house, so I'm happy with the arrangement.

SavvvyLu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swifterz View Post
    we have a healthy, happy, almost 2 year old (next month) black lab, Lucy.

we are always on the run. at the very least, she is in her crate from about 8:45am until 4:00pm monday-friday. she doesn't make a mess in there with very, very few exceptions, maybe once a month she will pee, i'm sure because she just couldn't hold it any longer. she goes in there willingly any time we say "house" and doesn't seem to mind.

when we're home she is always out. she sleeps in our bed. she gets plenty of attention. on weekends she is out and goes with us just about everywhere. i just feel bad because she spends so much time in there.

behavior wise, she has never chewed anything up or damaged anything. however, she is still a bit mischievous and gets socks and shoes out, will try to get things off the high counter-tops, etc. if there's food around, she wants it and if unsupervised will do anything to get it. we can put everything away and shut all doors except for the large main room.

at what point do people generally start leaving their labs out when they aren't home? i know we should be gone for maybe 10 minutes at a time, then 30 minutes, then an hour, and so on until hopefully she can be out all the time. we left her for 10 minutes the other day and came back and she was laying on the couch and hadn't touched a thing... but we are still worried. does anyone have any tips? is it time to try this?
    I'm not sure, I think trying to trust her for a few hours at a time might be best. Especially since she still gets into things lol. PS, my black lab is a Lucy too