help with identification
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help with identification

jimp is offline Member

Defaulthelp with identification

I just want to know if anyone can tell by looking at this labrador what type of lab is he. Do you think he may be a field labrador which I think is good for hunting. All I know from the pic is that he looks like a striking pure bred

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jimp is offline Member

Here are some photos that may help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grannycar is offline Member

english/show lab for sure

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Are they the same dog or different? I'd suspect a different dog as the rear angulation is not that great on the 2nd one, and the coat is quite wooly looking with the first pic. I'd personally say show bred, but only because there is more refined attributes to the head, a little more bone etc., than most field bred labs have today. Could be a blend however also. I have a little field behind all of mine btw, from ~3% up to 50%.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jimp is offline Member

Thanks. I have seen so many different pics of labs on this site and so many look so different from one to the other. I agree with you but I was not sure.

jimp is offline Member

He is 100 percent the same dog in both photos. I am not sure how old he is between both photos but he is the same dog I know that for sure.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

They can look different from one pic to another, but he's a beautiful dog in both. He looks like he comes from show lines that can also put in some time in the field. Who is he?

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

one thing to note is many dogs are actually just "pet bred".

Conformation/english would imply that the parents, grandparnents and so on where competing (and maybe winning) in conformation shows, that breeders bred each litter hoping for a dog to compete in the ring with

American/field would imply a dog who's parents, grandparents, and so on (or a god bunch of them), competed in field trials and litters were bred to, hopefully, have a pup that would do well in trials.

Sometimes you have breeders that will work with a bit of btw lines or cross (not super common as far as I know).

Pet bred is everything else. It means maybe three generations back one of the ancestors competed in one or the there but mostly, they were "pure bred labs" that people just bred to other "pure bred labs" for a variety of reasons. Most labs we see out there are pet bred, where you have to go many generations back to find a dog that competed in field/conformatin and the litters were bred mostly for "family pets". Their looks sorta run the gamit.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Read your pedigree.

If you see lots of AFC, FTC's in front of the names, and JH, SR, MH behind the names, the dog is from a working line.

If you see lots of CH or GrCH, the dog is from show lines.

If you see lots of CD, CDX, UD, UDX titles, it's from performance lines.

If you see names like "Joe's Brown Doggy" or "Sweet Lucy" with no titles on either side of the names, it's a pet pedigree.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Ohh, that'd be too easy though, wouldn.t it????

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast