Heartbroken
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartbroken

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultHeartbroken

It's been heartbreaking as a breeder / owner these past few weeks.

For those who don't know, I lost my beautiful first time 4 yo mama, Roxy, 2.5wks ago to anaphylactic shock. The puppies, who were born 4 days early to begin with (lost 5 of the 11 at whelp-- just too young) were only 7 days old. Black widow or scorpion is suspected due to our odd unseasonably warm weather and the fact she liked to crawl under a low deck to nest a bit... was likely bit there. I've been hand raising the litter. I'm sad beyond words.

Puppies are now 3.5 wks old, and in the transition to gruel, so I can finally sleep thru the night. I am still sleeping in the room w/ them, and have only left for maybe an hour at a time w/o having a friend come over. The first 2 wks were very hard as I also run my own consulting/ analytical business and was not able to do more than 2hrs of work due to sleep deprivation. I am finally caught up w/ most of it ---fortunately this is a slow time of the year, and I have VERY understanding/dog loving clients. In fact, one of the chemical field men brought me a bottle of spray which is very animal/ human safe (restaurants use it even) for spiders and scorpions and such, so w/ the 60F weather again today, I think that'll be on my list to do. It's been blocked off since of course.

I am fortunate to have wonderful grandmas, aunties and cousins here to help raise the puppies. Honestly don't know what I'd do without them...

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Here are a few photos of the past week or so. Grandma Sonya (Roxy's mom) is laying w/ the pups in the first photo. Other photos show pups w/ Mata (Great Aunt and champion butt cleaner), Tango, and Kanzi (only 11 mos). The pups will have great doggy socialization despite our loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Archie is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry! How sad to lose Roxy, especially when her pups were so little.

Thank goodness you have those other sweet ladies to share in the puppy raising. I'm hoping you'll be able to sleep and begin to heal soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

I think of you and Roxy almost everyday. I can't imagine how your heart must be hurting, I truly hope Roxy shines through in one of her pups and you are able to find some comfort in that.

Tina

beth101509 is offline Member

I am sorry for your loss. I didn't realize that a dog could die from a black widow spider or scorpion as we have black widows everywhere here in TN. That is very scary to think about. I hope things get better for you soon.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

I am so terribly sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine

Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    I am sorry for your loss. I didn't realize that a dog could die from a black widow spider or scorpion as we have black widows everywhere here in TN. That is very scary to think about. I hope things get better for you soon.
    From what I was told by the vet, since our temps had just warmed suddenly, a lot of insects and arachnids became active. Not sure if that would affect toxicity or not, but they seemed to think that. Roxy was not sick a day in her life. Only went to the vet for her rabies vaccines per law (I do the combos etc here), and for breeding clearances, progesterone testing and our occasional weigh ins where she loved to wiggle up to the receptionists/ techs/ vets. It's crazy but it caught me so offguard... I could not figure out what was the matter. Her gums were pale and cold as if she'd just drank some ice water (but I had no water outside). Her rectal temp was fine but she was clearly off. Her paws were cold too. I wished I'd have known the signs of it, so that's why I post. I keep thinking had I not spent the time to warm the puppy box so they could go along and stay warm (the other option was keeping them here but w/ a heat lamp on and I am a worrier about that).... maybe it'd have bought Roxy the time she needed. Despite them doing all they could (epinephrum, oxygen, iv, etc), they lost her w/in an hour. Blood pressure and heart rate was just too low. All signs pointed to anaphylactic shock including the necropsy. To what? Well there were no vaccines, no drugs... and it was dusk. And black widows are getting very common out here, esp in locations like that deck (as now I know...). Today I sprayed (more like douched!) under the deck and around the house w/ a product called Tempo. Restaurants use it, it's pet safe once dry, etc. I had to wash hands and change my clothes after in order to handle the puppies but that's it. I was gifted a bottle from a client here in the fruit industry but it's something you can buy thru Amazon or Home Depot too. If you have them, I'd deal with now and not look back. I mixed up 3 gallons, sprayed all around the base of my house, under the deck, on the deck, and all the major shrubbery. Probably have 4/5 of a bottle left. I'll likely do the garage and kennel run as well as soon as possible.

beth101509 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    From what I was told by the vet, since our temps had just warmed suddenly, a lot of insects and arachnids became active. Not sure if that would affect toxicity or not, but they seemed to think that. Roxy was not sick a day in her life. Only went to the vet for her rabies vaccines per law (I do the combos etc here), and for breeding clearances, progesterone testing and our occasional weigh ins where she loved to wiggle up to the receptionists/ techs/ vets. It's crazy but it caught me so offguard... I could not figure out what was the matter. Her gums were pale and cold as if she'd just drank some ice water (but I had no water outside). Her rectal temp was fine but she was clearly off. Her paws were cold too. I wished I'd have known the signs of it, so that's why I post. I keep thinking had I not spent the time to warm the puppy box so they could go along and stay warm (the other option was keeping them here but w/ a heat lamp on and I am a worrier about that).... maybe it'd have bought Roxy the time she needed. Despite them doing all they could (epinephrum, oxygen, iv, etc), they lost her w/in an hour. Blood pressure and heart rate was just too low. All signs pointed to anaphylactic shock including the necropsy. To what? Well there were no vaccines, no drugs... and it was dusk. And black widows are getting very common out here, esp in locations like that deck (as now I know...). Today I sprayed (more like douched!) under the deck and around the house w/ a product called Tempo. Restaurants use it, it's pet safe once dry, etc. I had to wash hands and change my clothes after in order to handle the puppies but that's it. I was gifted a bottle from a client here in the fruit industry but it's something you can buy thru Amazon or Home Depot too. If you have them, I'd deal with now and not look back. I mixed up 3 gallons, sprayed all around the base of my house, under the deck, on the deck, and all the major shrubbery. Probably have 4/5 of a bottle left. I'll likely do the garage and kennel run as well as soon as possible.
    I will definitely have to look into Tempo. So scary. Thanks for giving people like me a heads up about these dangers as I would never have even thought to be concerned about something like this. Again, sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    I will definitely have to look into Tempo. So scary. Thanks for giving people like me a heads up about these dangers as I would never have even thought to be concerned about something like this. Again, sorry for your loss.
    I was told by a Siberian Husky breeder last night that they lost a 4mo old pup to a black widow a few years ago. Don't know if it was at their current location (1 mile away) or when they were in CA though.

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Sorry for your loss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast