My 6 month old choc lab has bilateral elbow and hip dysplasia. He is lame in his front right leg with a swollen elbow. My vet thinks he if under developed because he is inactive. He does lie around most of the day, we live on a large property with plenty of space for him to run around. I walk/swim him every afternoon which he enjoys, he is lean. The problem became evident when he was 4 months so x rays were done we have just had them repeated and problem with his elbows seems worse.My vet thinks we should euthanaise him, his opinion is our pup will have some degree of pain all his life and never be able to enjoy an active life,I know surgery is possible but on going arthritis is unavoidable. My heart and head are in conflict but from the dogs perspective is it right to put him through painful surgery when the outcome will never be good. I have done a lot of research and read lots of posts on many forums looking for help but still struggling, has any forum members faced this dilemma.
I have no advice but am sending you good thoughts. I know you are in a difficult position right now and have no clue how you must feel. However, have you consulted a second opinion from someone other than your vet? Like an actual surgeon that specializes in this type of procedure? They may have more information than the vet and may be able to offer some advice. Good luck with your decision.
My brother had a yellow lab (Bailey) that had similar conditions, but he only had hip dysplasia. He put the lab through the operation and he lived an enjoyable life until he was 13.5 years old. His hips really went south later in his life (around 10 years old). He really never acted as though he was in pain and he always seemed happy, so we let him live. He was a real trooper, but it was tough walking one lab when the older one could not keep up. It was really heart breaking at times. The worse his condition got, the less we could exercise him. It is a tough decision. No one wants to let their pup go. I hate to say it, but you probably need to let your chocolate lab go, if he is going to be in pain.
sorry to hear
do not make any decisions without seeing a specialist and discussing options.
Last edited by Dryfo; 02-05-2015 at 08:27 AM.
my thoughts and prayers to you and your dog
Thanks for everyone's comments, I am going ahead with surgery,he has his op next monday