Is this a Chocalate Lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Chocalate Lab

sowen is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs this a Chocalate Lab

First off I really don't care what type of dog I have because me and the family love her and she has been a great pup so far. I am just curious though to see if any of you lab experts can determine what % lab I have. I got her from the local pound when she was approx. 9 weeks old. She and her siblings were found at a local dump in a box. She is completely brown, nose, eyes, everything, no other color anywhere. She has really long legs and is very slim (I bring this up because the neighbor bought a brown lab from a breeder for Christmas, about the same age, and his dog (male) is much more massive, stocky than my female.). At 4 months she weighed 30 lbs. When outside she will occasionally stop, lift a front leg, and her fairly long narrow tail will point.....just like a "pointer." Any specific characteristics that I could look for to determine? I came across a pic of a Vizla the other day and I thought she has that body build. Labs that I am familiar with are stocky with a blocky head. I just don't see that in this long lanky female. Thanks for the info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

you cant determine percentage like that. unless you know the parents for sure, it's a "best guess". and everyone will have a two cents on that. and remember labs are the most bred dog. anyone and everyone os breeding it seems leading to a huge range in what a "lab" can look like. labs these days thanks to all these wannabe breeders range greatly in shape and size.

based on that one photo (and hard to comment as you cant see body shape) she looks pretty labby. as she matures and develops you may see more changes, always hard to tell when they are young.

when a pup ends up at a shelter with unknown heritage i woudl call it a mix. anyone trying to define proportion is makin a wild guess so ignore them. your girl i would just call a lab mix as you dont know.

Otis Mom is offline Junior Member

She's a beauty, congrats!
    Otis' Mom

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stripeybelly is offline Junior Member

She looks like a field lab to me, so I'd say at least half. If you're that curious, you can get a doggy DNA test from a pet supply store. They run around $80. (Also, my lab 'points' when he's interested in something. I had a terrier/shepherd mix who did the same thing. It's a semi-universal doggy behavior.)

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

the tests are not bullet proof. they have a good amount of error rate. it's "fun" (i did two for my girl) but i would never call the results perfect and absolutely accurate.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Looks lab but without a pedigree, a guess is just a guess.

Grannycar is offline Member

looks lab and weinheimer? for the most part looks like a lab.

sowen is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnother pic

Here is another that shows those long legs. Thanks for all your replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Unlike the pleebs on this site I can tell you exactly what percentage lab your dog is by a single photo. I am just choosing not at this time

Jenniferlee is offline Junior Member

WOW beautiful! I would say 100% lab. My lab from the breeder is long and lanky. It is the American style of lab as opposed to the stockier English lab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast