Switched puppy food..Does she not like it????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switched puppy food..Does she not like it????

Grannycar is offline Member

DefaultSwitched puppy food..Does she not like it????

Ok i was feeding my 18 week old pup Purina Pro plan large breed focus food. from what i noticed she liked it but her BM were always soft and runny. did about a week of switching and followed merricks transition recommendation to merrick grain free puppy recipe. the mixing went pleasant. her stools started hardening almost immeditaly. but now after the week transition, im at day 10, so 3 days full merrick. Now my dog was always a graizer while eating. pulls it out of the bowl drops a mouth ful, eats it off the floor. but with the merrick its about 10 times worse. i know i can be a little more strict on how long i keep her food out maybe and hour. Do you think i should just keep at it or is it she just does not like it at all?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

She's likely teething pretty badly now, so that could well be your issue. Are you feeding it dry or are you moistening it? I'd start w/ a smaller amount moistened and see if that helps.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

yea shes def teething. i put a little warm water in with the food. no improvment

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She may just feel yucky. Perhaps try a little broth if she is worrying you weight wise, otherwise, dont' mess with it as you could create a picky eater.
    Another thing that helped here (but it's a daily supplement) is ground alfalfa. It's an appetite enhancer and a great B vitamin, so you can't go wrong w/ it.

I've been timing her mes "how long I keep her food out" and she's def getting better.

podaran is offline Member

My 2 year old boy is not too crazy about his new diet (Solid Gold Sun Dancer) either. He eats about 50% of what's in his bowl and that's it. For the past two days I've been adding warm milk to it and he now empties the bowl. Is it advisable to go on giving him cow's milk with his kibble?
    Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend.

Cow's milk is not well digested by dogs, so it really should never be given. Most breeders will use a milk substitute in weaning puppies but it is typically a goat milk based product and only for a couple weeks during the transition.

She's doing great now on the merrick. her food is timed twice a day and magic number is 1.25 cups per serving. she def isnt to skinny, so the 2.5 cups a day is working fine. shes at 36lbs as of yesterday 19.5 weeks old

podaran is offline Member

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, a lot of the dog health websites warn that most dogs are lactose intolerant. But quite a few also say that if your dog shows no signs of lactose intolerance such as

- vomiting, diarrhea,
    - flatulence
    - abdominal pain
    - excessive scratching

then it may be alright to give him small amounts of cow's milk not too frequently. My boy has had no vomiting or diarrhea or gas or any of the other symptoms. Poop is good. So I figure he's not lactose intolerant. Nevertheless the only reason I've been having to give him milk is because he eats his kibble only if it has some warm milk sprinkled on it.
    Anyway, I took him to the vet yesterday and the vet said it's not a good idea to mix much milk with kibble often as the salt in the kibble curdles the milk and the dog would find it difficult to digest curdled milk. So i bought a jar of Solid Gold Sea Meal today hoping to substitute it for the milk. Thankfully, Bonda emptied his bowl of kibble soaked in warm water mixed with Sea Meal! Hopefully I'll never have to give him milk again!
    Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by podaran View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, a lot of the dog health websites warn that most dogs are lactose intolerant. But quite a few also say that if your dog shows no signs of lactose intolerance such as

- vomiting, diarrhea,
    - flatulence
    - abdominal pain
    - excessive scratching

then it may be alright to give him small amounts of cow's milk not too frequently. My boy has had no vomiting or diarrhea or gas or any of the other symptoms. Poop is good. So I figure he's not lactose intolerant. Nevertheless the only reason I've been having to give him milk is because he eats his kibble only if it has some warm milk sprinkled on it.
    Anyway, I took him to the vet yesterday and the vet said it's not a good idea to mix much milk with kibble often as the salt in the kibble curdles the milk and the dog would find it difficult to digest curdled milk. So i bought a jar of Solid Gold Sea Meal today hoping to substitute it for the milk. Thankfully, Bonda emptied his bowl of kibble soaked in warm water mixed with Sea Meal! Hopefully I'll never have to give him milk again!
    possibly for an adult dog but isn't adding calcium to a young puppy potentially causing issues? Foods generally should have the appropriate amount of calcium for a growing dog (if it's an appropriate food) so adding more calcium messes all that up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast