Need Help Joining the AKC Labrador Retriever Club!

Thread: Need Help Joining the AKC Labrador Retriever Club!

RolexJohn is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed Help Joining the AKC Labrador Retriever Club!

Greetings,

I'm trying to join the LRC, but on the application they require two sponsors. So I'm hoping that perhaps some kind members of this forum might be willing to sponsor me after getting to know me a bit.

We currently have two Labradors named Hans and Lady, and we also have two Rottweilers named Zeus and Maximus:

The Labs came first, and when we bought them, we had no interest in dogs shows and such - we didn't even bother sending in their AKC paperwork to complete the registrations. Hans and Lady aren't show quality dogs and have some obvious conformation faults (dudley noses, stars on their chest). However when we bought our Rottweiler puppy, the breeder encouraged us to show him, and we're hooked on doing both conformation and Rally Obedience. Zeus is a very well titled Rottweiler:

At some point down the road, I'd like to buy a top quality Labrador puppy for conformation and performance events. So I'd like to join the LRC and perhaps next work with some breeders ahead of time.

If anyone would like to know more about me before sponsoring me, just let me know - I'll be happy to answer any questions.

-John

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

The LRC is a fairly limited member club. It USED to be that you needed to be active in the breed thru showing or performance for at least 5, and preferably 10 yrs-- and then YOU had to be invited to join! It's eased up a bit, but they (understandably so) would like to see that people are on the right page about maintaining the breed and its purpose. I'm not really sure how an application such as yours would be received-- since you aren't competing in much AKC esp. It may be money (application fee) down the drain for you. I'd probably pursue the puppy first, and join an all breed club since you've got the Rotts too, prove yourself there (in AKC events btw-- UKC and IABCA titles won't be taken into consideration), then in 5yrs, apply to LRC.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

RolexJohn is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    The LRC is a fairly limited member club. It USED to be that you needed to be active in the breed thru showing or performance for at least 5, and preferably 10 yrs-- and then YOU had to be invited to join! It's eased up a bit, but they (understandably so) would like to see that people are on the right page about maintaining the breed and its purpose. I'm not really sure how an application such as yours would be received-- since you aren't competing in much AKC esp. It may be money (application fee) down the drain for you. I'd probably pursue the puppy first, and join an all breed club since you've got the Rotts too, prove yourself there (in AKC events btw-- UKC and IABCA titles won't be taken into consideration), then in 5yrs, apply to LRC.
    Oh wow...didn't realize they were that way. Sounds like it may not be the club for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

It's the parent club that sets the standard, though there is contention between different groups of breeders over the standard. Members have to sponsor you, not strangers from some poorly run pet forum.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    It's the parent club that sets the standard, though there is contention between different groups of breeders over the standard. Members have to sponsor you, not strangers from some poorly run pet forum.
    Correct, and not to let you think it's a bunch of uppity ups. The Labrador breed is well established, and as such, so is the club. You really do need to be involved in the breed if you want to be part of the Parent club. I know it's unlike the Golden club (and perhaps the Rott club), but it doesn't mean it's not a valid concern. I was invited back in ~2000, but didn't accept my invite for ~6 yrs because *I* felt I hadn't done enough yet. I wish more people would wait until after they've experienced more than one facet of the breed. Rescue, conformation, performance (to a more advanced degree), tracking etc.... if you are making recommendations on a standard or regs, or voting on a breed standard, I think you need to be experienced.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014