Just want to make sure this is legit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just want to make sure this is legit

beth101509 is offline Member

QuestionJust want to make sure this is legit

We got our puppy from a lady that only had him for a week but she got him from a breeder. I have contacted the breeder to ask about the parents since we didn't see them but just want to make sure that they are a legit breeder and not just breeding to make money as they do have litters that involve silver and champaign colors. This is the information they have posted on the male and female. I'm not familiar with the terms or abbreviations. Can you just look it over and let me know if it all looks like it checks out? We do have his AKC certification so I'm guessing it is legit, just want to make sure they bred for temperament and not just for colors.

Stetson

Chocolate Male

AKC Registered

CH Sired (His sire is a BISS AM GCH & CAN CH), 11 champions in 4 generation pedigree

OFA PRELIMS: HIPS- GOOD ELBOWS- NORMAL

EIC (Exercised Induced Collapse): Clear

CNM: Clear

DM: Clear

PRA/ PRCD: Clear

Cystinuria: Clear

RD/OSD: Clear

Jolie

Yellow Female

65lbs

Very sweet, smart, and kind dog!

AKC Registered

CH Grandsired

OFA PRELIMS: HIPS- GOOD ELBOWS- NORMAL

EIC (Exercised Induced Collapse): Clear

CNM: Clear

DM: Clear

PRA/PRCD: Clear

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

*Champagne....I tried to edit my original post and fix the spelling of this word but it wouldn't let me edit my own post.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

labs come in yellow, chocolate and black. the only other acceptable term is fox red for a dark yellow lab.

that's all. not champaign not white and not silver

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm well aware of that by reading all the other posts about a silver lab. That wasn't my question. I was wondering if the breeder was legit since they do recognize silver and champagne as colors and sell those colors. I just wanted to know what they posted about my dog's parents was good information or not.

I appreciate the feedback though.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Any breeder that breeds silver isn't legit. Also, reputable breeders prefer not to breed on prelims.

Health clearances won't tell you if the breeder is focusing on temperament. A dog can be healthy but can still have a crappy temperament.

And usually breeders that are reputable aren't touting the champions in a pedigree. The ones that do that are usually the ones that do nothing with their dogs and have nothing to brag about with their dogs...

But really ANY breeder breeding for silver needs to be avoided at any cost.

Well, unfortunately, that wasn't up to me. I just got him from a lady that got him from the breeder. If I had to choose a breeder, it wouldn't have been these folks either but I was still hoping that maybe they were at least a decent breeder anyway.

So far, Oliver seems like a laid back, good natured puppy so I am hoping that it continues. When I contacted the breeder asking about the parents, she told me that both his parents were laid back and calm in nature so....maybe they do breed for temperament and not just color?

Thanks for the information, Yellowbelly.

a breeder that breeds and advertises colours not in the labrador breed is not legit.

hopefully all those clearances are true which put the odds in your favour. some are prelim which isn't ideal (means done too young).

a breeder is either doing things right or they aren't. I know you didn't buy from them but no matter how nice they may seem they are being completely irresponsible and unethical in their breeding practices.

Will Oliver be a wonderful family pet? ABSOLUTELY! he is in no means an inferior puppy. it's more about supporting those who do things right and increasing the odds of having a well natured labrador that is healthy (again I know you did not buy from the breeder). But can you get your dog from less than ideal situations and STILL have a lovely well natured healthy dog? abolutely.

and agreed when a breeder is talking about the champion generations back it usually is a big signal they themselves have done nothing with their dogs. Otherwise they would be touting their own dogs (a good reputable breeder should be doing SOMETHING with their dog to prove it has solid temperament and labrador drive and conformation)

Lesson learned on this breeder. I will ensure that Oliver is a great family pet through training, exercise, and love. Thank you for defining prelim as I had no clue what that meant I appreciate your input, Dryfo.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I would ask your breeder for the actual AKC number so you can look up the OFA records and find pedigrees also. I'd love to know what CH stud owners are allowing their dogs to be bred to Silver/dilute lines. Not kosher at all...

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast