Aggressive Dogs at Dog Park?

Thread: Aggressive Dogs at Dog Park?

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultAggressive Dogs at Dog Park?

Do you ever worry about the aggressiveness of some dogs at the dog park? It's not always easy to read a dog's intentions. I always look for signs that the dogs are playing nice.... tails wagging, the "let's play" stance, happy running and chasing, happy barking, taking turns with playing "dominant", and sharing toys. Recently the owners of a young rescued pit bull were miffed when I tried to keep my dog away from theirs who was growling, barking, snapping and aggressively behaving towards my 9 month old Lab at a dog park. My Lab seemed to be worried about their dog (tail between her legs and trying to avoid the young pit bull). I don't want my Lab to be a sissy, but I want to protect her. Have you ever experienced this? Am I overprotective? Should I let the dogs work it out themselves, or should I intervene?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

I would never just let my dog 'work it out' with an unfamiliar dog, and aggressive dogs are exactly why I don't do dog parks. Way too many horror stories!!!

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Some people do think anything goes as long as it doesn't end up at the E-vet. I disagree. Bullying, inappropriate play and all that kind of stuff should be interrupted and redirected. I don't believe in "letting dogs working out" for the most part.

but the only thing we can do as dog owners is leave when we are not comfortable. In your case if you can't get away from the pit bull (meaning the park is too small to really get away) then unfortunately leaving when that dog is there may be the better option as it sounds like they are idiots and clearly don't get it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

i worry about the stupid owners at the dog parks which is why i don't go anymore.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Vets love dog parks--- they fund their vacations between all the parasites, dog fights, etc. They make me (as a breeder) cringe. I'm w/ mauricio, it's the stupid owners who are most worrisome.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

I too have heard the "it's okay, let them work it out" bit. I don't care. If I am not comfortable with who is around, Piper and I leave. Immediately. Trust your gut.

Bob Martino is offline Junior Member

Exclamation"The dog park"

Quote Originally Posted by CCDogMom View Post
    Do you ever worry about the aggressiveness of some dogs at the dog park? It's not always easy to read a dog's intentions. I always look for signs that the dogs are playing nice.... tails wagging, the "let's play" stance, happy running and chasing, happy barking, taking turns with playing "dominant", and sharing toys. Recently the owners of a young rescued pit bull were miffed when I tried to keep my dog away from theirs who was growling, barking, snapping and aggressively behaving towards my 9 month old Lab at a dog park. My Lab seemed to be worried about their dog (tail between her legs and trying to avoid the young pit bull). I don't want my Lab to be a sissy, but I want to protect her. Have you ever experienced this? Am I overprotective? Should I let the dogs work it out themselves, or should I intervene?
    I have found that introducing the dogs thru the fence. If anything goes wrong, the fence will protect the dogs. They also react protectively while on a leash or lead. Try to Make friends with the other dog too. That helps your dog think it is ok to proceed. Careful and good luck.