Lab/Pointer Pup Won't Stop Biting!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab/Pointer Pup Won't Stop Biting!

alannahmonks is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab/Pointer Pup Won't Stop Biting!

Hi there, just looking to get advice about our 10 week old lab/pointer pup, Lucy. She's an absolute joy of a pup in almost every regard but she is just crazy for play biting and takes it too far all too easily. So far she's been very gentle with the kids but she really goes to town on myself and my husband so I'm afraid she might slip up one day and bite the kids harder than they could handle.

I have tried all the training tips a tricks I.can find but it's not getting any better. Am I just expecting took much too soon?
    I know this is a very energetic breed anyway so it could just be in her, but if anyone has any suggestions about bite training it would be much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

what have you tried and how long did you try any one technique? at 10 weeks we are still early days, it takes months of repetition for some dogs.

make sure the puppy has lots of exercise (free play in the yard) and work her brain (training, hide and seek, games).

when they are bitey, say "no bite" and give them a chew toy. be calm. repeat repeat repeat. make sure there are tons of puppy appropriate chew toys.

Monitor if this is happening at any specific time. Lots of puppies will do this in the evening when they are over tired but rather than take a nap they go crazy. if this is the case, force the puppy to take a nap BEFORE this period of the day by putting them in their crate with a yummy treat for a nap.

Also PLEASE consider puppy classes ASAP. these classes are safe for puppies that haven't had all their shots and many will even encourage ALL the family to be present. They learn to play and socialize with other dogs (SUPER important), socialize to other humans and sounds/places and will help you with training.

windex917 is offline Junior Member

Smile

Labs love to bite and chew. The method I used along with the "no bite" is to use your thumb and finger place it in the lower pallet of there mouth. This is very uncomfortable for them and they will try to pull away. Hang on and say "no bite". They will start making a connection with it.

I taught my lab that anytime his teeth touch my hand, it is not ok. Along with the above, ignoring them and stopping play for 5 mins helps reinforce as well.

It may sound a bit cruel to some but the payoff comes quickly. My lab is now 6 years old and it is pretty funny when I or my kids play ball with him. he gets really frustrated and whines when we put our hand between his mouth and the ball. If his teeth touch our hand while playing, he stops and licks your hand.

Another reinforcement is replacement. Teeth touch hand and "no bite". Then place a toy in their mouth. Works for chewing on your stuff also.

Hope this helps,
    If you don't know what fun is, Just ask a Lab, they'll show you.

The Maxinator Born 6/8/08

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ECF321 is offline Junior Member

Mine (black lab female) now 16 weeks old was awfull until about 2 weeks ago! My arms are just now healing lol She was nutso with pant legs, ankles, hands, 3 yr old boy and whatever she could get hold of. Nothing seemed to help. After all her shots were up to date we started putting her in puppy daycare and they had her in with a couple senior dogs. She comes home worn out!! Now she is a complete diferent pup Almost thought we got the wrong dog back lol. I'm guessing a little age and socialization did the trick. She hardly ever bites now!

Here she is

sipsi is offline Junior Member

Our 8 week old female lab bites hands and jumps over our faces! I've read that bite inhibition is better than bite prohibition. Should I allow her to bite until it hurts or never let her teeth touch my hand?

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sipsi View Post
    Our 8 week old female lab bites hands and jumps over our faces! I've read that bite inhibition is better than bite prohibition. Should I allow her to bite until it hurts or never let her teeth touch my hand?
    never allow teeth on skin. loud OUCH, step away and then give a chew toy. repeat x1000

ChopperII is offline Junior Member

I went through this phase from 8 weeks old until about 3 months old. My pup is now 6-1/2 months old. He no longer bites me and he no longer has puppy teeth. Thank goodness! I thought the open wounds would never heal on my arms. Redirection with toys did wonders for me! Do not play fight with your puppy on the floor. That makes her think you are a dog and they love to bite their playmates. LOL... Keep moving your hands and arms out of the way of her teeth and yelp ouch if she nips you.

sipsi is offline Junior Member

Thank you for all the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast