Now Ruby has a muzzle!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now Ruby has a muzzle!

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

DefaultNow Ruby has a muzzle!

Little rascal won't stop eating God know what when we're out in the bush.
    Last Thursday we out on our mid afternoon "Business Trip" to blow off some teenage puppy steam.
    Friday she was the picture of obedience. Slow moving, limp leash, you name it - we thought someone had switched dogs on us.
    By afternoon I had my wife convinced that she should be checked out and sure enough 103 fever.
    We got the blood work, urine test, butt check and two antibiotics (one to go one way and one to go another) and probiotics because
    of the antibiotics. And a Vet Bill like you would expect.

By Saturday she was up n' adam again. But our clothes washer quit. So we spent more $ on a new one.

Then Monday we went out on the same trail. Shortly after that she started that lick the carpet and the air, A sure sign that a dog is gonna blow chunks.

She did.

Twice. Once in the Lab, and again in the front office. Brown with poop n' sticks and stuff.
    Yes we were thinking blockage at this point.

Today she was back to normal again and peeing and pooping nice and normal - so no blockage - good.

I let her run wild and free out there but I think she is fining something near the trail head on her way back so today we went to out new PetCo and bought a nylon muzzle. She walked around the store with it on and it doesn't seem to bother her too much. On the trail I doubt she will notice it much but her poop eating days ( and whatever else is out there in the high brush) are over.

:Ron
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BirdMan is offline Member

Have you done any training with her?

The leave it command works great. Or you could leash her up until she learns not to eat things she shouldn't.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

if the nylon one you bought keeps her mouth closed, is is absolutely NOT the appropriate type of muzzle for your intended use (off leash play). they keep the mouth shut and a dog can overheat as they must pant to release heat and cool down.

if you must use a muzzle for exercise look at basket muzzles (plastic or wire) which allow a dog to easily pant and keep their mouths open but dont allow them to bring most things into their mouth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

if this is what you bought it cannot and should not be used for an off leash dog exercising outside:
    Petco Nylon & Mesh Dog Muzzle at PETCO

some info:
    Muzzle Training Your Dog

an appropriate type of muzzle
    Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle, Flexible Comfortable Basket Muzzle

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

This post kind of annoys me I'm sorry. First of all dryfo is correct - if you need a muzzle you should be using a basket so they dog can open their mouth.

But i'm baffled at the fact that you wan't to muzzle the dog instead of train the dog not to eat off the ground. I find that really irresponsible as a dog owner.

mauricio is offline Senior Member

she isn't trained enough to run free if she is eating all sorts of dangerous stuff.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Actually, the nylon muzzle was a fail. Ruby was able to eat poo with it on so that one is out.

The basket muzzle was our first choice but was very difficult to put on a wiggling fighting lab as it has no E snap connector but the old school buckle type with no obvious holes for the buckle. If we could get a basket muzzle with an E connector then ok.

:Ron
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Why do you let her eat poo? What have you done to train her not to eat off of the ground?

I am so massively frustrated at this mentality. My dog pulls so I'm going to use a halti. My dog eats things off the ground so I'm going to muzzle the dog. My dog can't be off leash. This mentality of instead of training my dog not to pull, I'll use a halti so it's more tolerable to me. Instead of teaching a dog not to eat of the ground, I'll just muzzle the dog because that's easier. The dog will do whatever you train it to do. If your dog eats off of the ground, it is YOUR FAULT. If a dog pulls, it's the owners fault. Not only that, but you can't put a muzzle on your dog because he is "wiggling fighting lab". Do you have any trust or control? Or is that dog just totally in control at all times.

If you had a child that picked things up off of the ground and put them in their mouth, would you tape the child's mouth shut? You are doing a great disservice to that dog by not training it.

BirdMan is offline Member

You're not giving her enough credit. Dogs are very smart. She will learn, if you teach her. By 5 months, both my guys were off leash hiking with me. My youngest was closer to 4 months. Both had great recalls and knew if they didn't listen, they'd be leashed up and the leisure hike would turn into a training hike.

It's always a great time to learn. You can start the basics right in your own home, then in your neighborhood and once Ruby is good, let her try off leash and see.

Give her a chance to show you how smart she is. Allow her to learn.

Good luck.

you absolutelt need to desensitize her before just forcing it on her. please do more reading before trying again
    but absolutely not a nylon muzzle as it can be very dangerous.

have you take any classes with your dog? you seem to keep complaining about her behaviour and having lots of trouble with training.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast