Dogs and apples

Thread: Dogs and apples

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultDogs and apples

I read somewhere that apple seeds are bad for dogs. That maybe so.. but my 5 year old loves giving my lab an apple here and there and I let her. Nothing like seeing a lab chasing an apple trying to play with it as a ball and eat it at the same time. Does wonders for their breath also…For about a year she called her Apple (her real name is Autumn)

My grandparents had dogs when I was growing up ( mostly hunting dogs Pointers and Beagles) but they had a apple tree in their yard and it was common for their dogs to be chomping on fallen apples and I never seen any adverts affects. Dogs lived long happy lives.

I was recently scolded from someone who thought themselves the Dog Police for giving my dog apples I only give one here and there not like there eating 20 lbs of them ….. where they just being over reactive or am I a bad dog owner ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradory is offline Senior Member

I give my girls an apple every day. I use an apple corer to remove the seeds and core. They love apples!

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

The seeds of apples and many other fruits with pits, like peaches, have cyanide in them. I did have a case of cyanide poisoning in our ESS. Very mild, all she had as a symptom was uncontrollable urination and defecation. My girly who normally let me go without pooper bags could not make it the o.7 km walk to the bush. The Vet said this was a symptom of cyanide poisoning but it could also have been due to the higher amount of roughage she got with the apples. However we began to diligently pick up apples from our four trees in the backyard. When she could no longer eat windfalls off the ground she began to climb the tree. This was too good to miss so we let her, she didn't get many that way, and the problem went away. Now I don't worry if my dog gets a whole apple a couple of times a week but I do vary his fruit treats. We still pick up windfalls, if we didn't there's no way to tell how many the dog gets.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

it's the core and the seeds that aren't good.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd not worry about it and I don't. 8 labs here, have had multiples for years and I analyze apples for a living... Suffice to say, my dogs eat apples daily from Aug- late October and more.
    When was the last time you saw a lab actually CHEW (thoroughly) its food? The cyanide is in the seed, and I know of no lab that chews that well to crush the seeds.
    The only "poisoning" I have had from eating apples here was before I fenced off the area I was dumping my apples (they can still reach thru and clear the outer 1-2') and one got alcohol/mold poisoning in February after they had been buried in snow for a few months.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

chocomom is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I'd not worry about it and I don't. 8 labs here, have had multiples for years and I analyze apples for a living... Suffice to say, my dogs eat apples daily from Aug- late October and more.
    When was the last time you saw a lab actually CHEW (thoroughly) its food? The cyanide is in the seed, and I know of no lab that chews that well to crush the seeds.
    The only "poisoning" I have had from eating apples here was before I fenced off the area I was dumping my apples (they can still reach thru and clear the outer 1-2') and one got alcohol/mold poisoning in February after they had been buried in snow for a few months.
    Anne, could you post a larger version of the Windy Canyon girls picture?

Quote Originally Posted by chocomom View Post
    Anne, could you post a larger version of the Windy Canyon girls picture?
    I am not sure this forum allows much but I have a bigger pic on my website.

chocomom is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I am not sure this forum allows much but I have a bigger pic on my website.
    OMG Anne-I didn't know you had a pup named "Moka Java"???? How has that never come up all these years?? (BTW-I'm javadoo from the other boards-I have Moka & Java).

Your dogs are so beautiful...and I love what you do for a living. What a great job!!!

Mollie--- that was long ago! Born in 1997. There was an old Jazz CD that I borrowed the cut name from, but yes, there is a Mollie Delicious apple too.