bringing puppy home in car
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bringing puppy home in car

cubby is offline Member

Defaultbringing puppy home in car

I am getting an 8 week old puppy from a reputable breeder. I dont know the best way to bring it home with me in the car. The ride will be 2.5 hours. I could bring the crate and put it in the back of the car, but I doubt the puppy will want to ride back there alone. I WANT to just hold the puppy in my lap, but I dont know how the breeder will feel about that. I asked and they said a carrier would be a good idea. So I was thinking of something like a cat-carrier? Or a small dog carrier? Puppy will weight around 14 pounds I was told at 8 weeks. If the carrier is small enough I could have it on my lab to soothe the puppy.

I dont want to buy a carrier though, so i will try to borrow one. But if I cant, whats the next best thing? Would a box work that has a blanket in it? I could keep it at my feet. Or a laundry basket? I guess my aim is to have the breeder feel satisfied with how I bring the puppy home in the car. I'll probably pick the pup up and hold them once we get on the road (shhh...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BirdMan is offline Member

I used a cat carrier. Be sure to clean it out really well with bleach to kill any diseases it may have picked up while it was used for the cat.

I wanted nothing more than to cuddle my puppy the whole way home, but my puppy just wanted to curl up in the carrier and sleep. Not a peep from him until we got home and let him explore the house. I sat in the backseat with him in the crate during the drive. I would honestly just crate the pup. It's a great deterrent for potty accidents and it is much safer.

cubby is offline Member

I dont think the crate we have will fit in the back of my husband's Prius. Our crate is 31.5"l x 19.5w" x 21.5"h. I should try it out. it MIGHT fit. But then the dog would be in the way back of the car by himself. We have 4 people probably riding in the car to pick up the dog. We have a larger car but its older and I'd rather take the Hybrid because it costs less for gas!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

if you are driving alone the puppy must be in a crate pr carrier even if they bark and whine. loose could ne dangerous and a puppy on your lap while driving is very dangerous.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Brought a rabbit carrier. Just like Birdman, disinfected though know my rabbits are clean from disease and parasites (fleas, ticks, etc), but you know the adage,
    better safe than sorry. Never used it as we (my husband and I) had to drive a whole 3 minutes to pick up pup.

But with 4 people, lots of laps for pup to sit on. No danger I can see other than potty accidents. I would say crate if there was just one person, like Dryfo brought up, very dangerous to have an unattended, wandering pup in the car.

KAZ

Archie is offline Senior Member

With four people in the car, I don't think a crate is totally necessary. Just make sure people are prepared to be possibly gnawed and/or pottied on. Bring lots of chew toys to shove in puppy's mouth, and cleaning supplies.

Have fun! This is an exciting time

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I dont think the crate we have will fit in the back of my husband's Prius. Our crate is 31.5"l x 19.5w" x 21.5"h. I should try it out. it MIGHT fit. But then the dog would be in the way back of the car by himself. We have 4 people probably riding in the car to pick up the dog. We have a larger car but its older and I'd rather take the Hybrid because it costs less for gas!

Sorry, I was referring to the cat carrier as a crate. The small carrier is fine. Preferably a hard sided one.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Puppies Generally crash out in a car. Ruby still does as soon as we start to roll.
    From Keystone to Denver (70 some odd miles).

2.5 hours is quite a while though.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

Put the pup in your lap.. Let him out to pee every hour. With 4 people, there are quit a few laps. I got a pup in Colorado and he rode home to Texas in my wifes lap. Trip was 10+ hours. Forget the carrier, a lap helps him bond. If you are worried, wear jeans and bring a roll of paper towels. He will let you know if he feels the need to go....

Listen, if your breeder asked you to use a carrier just use one. You said yourself your breeder is reputable. If you trust your breeder, trust her judgment.

Heaven forbid you get into an accident and your pup takes off because he is scared. Also a crate or carrier can be very calming for a pup as it acts as a safe place for him. Throw in a blanket or stuffed toy from the breeder to make him more comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast