Crate size?

Thread: Crate size?

cubby is offline Member

DefaultCrate size?

What size crate would you buy for a lab? I am getting an 8 week old puppy but I want a crate meant for an adult. Its a 2nd crate for the bedroom only and I will only use it until the dog is housebroken. But I might use it later on too so I want it to fit a full grown lab. The dog is a show-bred lab so I'm thinking it will be around 90 pounds tops. What dimensions should I be looking for?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BirdMan is offline Member

I would ask your breeder what size they recommend for their lines. We got the biggest one for our guys but the "show" pup doesn't really need it that big. Gives him lots of room to stretch tho

Whatever you get make sure you also have a divider with it to help with crate and potty training in the beginning. Once you are accident free you can remove the divider all together.

Congrats on your pup and good luck!

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Always a good idea to ask the breeder. We use our crate that our first pup (138 pound Kuvacz) used. Definitely a bit big for our pup, but like Birdman's my pup now LOVES to stretch out.

Here's some images that could help you

dog crate sizes - Bing Images

Definitely get one with a divider. Ours was an older version, but husband is very handy and created a divider.

KAZ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Divider is the most important thing in a crate for a puppy. Eventually you will move the divider back a little bit at a time until it is no longer needed. As for size - breeder is your best bet in knowing what will be perfect.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

boys 48" and girls 42" ...if you have the space. otherwise, 36" always works.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

i get as big as possibly so they have space (once they are house trained!). talk to the breedwr about average size of their lines, some female labs find a 36" roomy but i think 42" is best if not bigger.

but yes until tbey are house trained you need a divider to limit space and discourage accidents

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

No smaller than 42" Dividers are a pain in the ass.

cubby is offline Member

I think my current crate is 48" because it easily fit my 90 pound lab with room to spare. I lent it to someone and I will get it back when my puppy outgrows their 31" crate. But I wanted a 2nd crate for upstairs. I will try to find a 42" one at least. It will just be for bedtime and only until the dog can be trusted to sleep at night and not do other things...

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

The divider is so the crate can be kept so small that puppy will try not to soil her sleeping place. That's the generally accepted theory. But puppy has limited ability to control body functions, some readings say complete control is not till 6 months. So it's YOUR job to get her out in time to pee or poop, not the crate's job. Everything is fine as long as you do get her out in time. But if you don't, and you're only human, you'll miss a few times, puppy can't hold on. Then she's stuck in her own pee or poop. Trying to hold on is not good for her either.

So I am no longer a fan of that kind of crate usage. My crate had the door open in our gated kitchen or a big pen and the times we missed a bathroom need pup chose a place away from her/his sleeping place to bathroom, outside the crate. In a way I think this demonstrates how the theory is correct, they do want to keep their sleeping place clean. But for the times it's just beyond their little puppy ability to hold on a really big crate will let them do that. Or the crate in a pen or kitchen like I did. Yes, we were lucky pup did not destroy the kitchen, some do, pen for those ones, if you have the space.

Just another idea, another way of looking at it, for you to consider. FWIW I wish my 30" high x 24" wide x 36" long crate was bigger for my 72 pound dog, but it fits in my car and that's the only place I use it.

cubby is offline Member

Thanks Dog Paddle. I actually never used a divider with my first puppy. I just accepted that accidents happen. We didnt feel right crating him while we were at work so instead we used gates to keep him in our kitchen, which was rather roomy. He did have accidents, but they were easily cleaned up on linoleum flooring.

This time around I plan to use the crate as a safe place for the puppy when I cant watch him. Like if I have to run to the store, read my kids books and put them to bed, take a shower, etc...mostly under 1 hour. I do work and I dont feel great about crating a dog for the whole day so instead we will gate him in our mudroom that has tile floors. That way there he can have his sleeping place and go to the far corner if he really needs a bathroom break. But luckily I work parttime. So I will be home by 2:30 and I also plan on coming home for lunch. I will also ask a neighbor to stop by once or twice a day to let the pup out for a bathroom break.

I'm generally home from 2:30 on so its really only 8-2:30 that I'm away. Only 9 days till my new puppy. I cant wait!