WindyCanyon is Dilute Gene Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WindyCanyon is Dilute Gene Free!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultWindyCanyon is Dilute Gene Free!

Since the AKC dropped the ball on our breed and breed club years ago by allowing the dubious "silvers" to be registered as Chocolates, a few of us are answering the challenge of the LRC (our AKC parent club) to test our breeding stock. I'm happy to announce that all 8 of mine (representing 3 generations) tested came back "NORMAL" for the dilute gene.... which means it is NOT THERE in my gene pool. No surprise.

Our regional club is offering it at their upcoming Health clinic as well, and it will be offered at the LRC Nationals in Gettysburg as well.

It's not all about just a color or shade. It's about the added health issues that can come w/ the Weim breed that we DONT WANT in our breed. Also as one vet recently told me, the Weim is the antithesis of a Lab (in both temperament and structure). What good can possibly come of that for the breed?

Here is the LRC position statement on Silvers: Silver Labradors - The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.
    And the link about Dilute gene testing: The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador Retriever

I challenge the other breeders on this board to do the same. Let's prove that the dilute gene is NOT natural to the Labrador gene pool! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

love it.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hats off to you Anne. Hoping other breeders take on your challenge to become "Dilute free".

Sad state of affairs for my Lionheads. Those breeders who wanted them to be smaller, created a health issue for the kits. Look up the dwarf gene in rabbits. Due to this gene being introduced to the original Lion head rabbit from Europe, now deformed kits can be produced. All to just make them smaller. That's the new rave in the Rabbit Show (ARBA), along with pet people. Make every rabbit small. The Polish rabbit used to be the only rabbit that was miniature, but because of wrongful breeding, the dwarf gene has now messed up the only miniature rabbit.

Again, Congratulations! Hoping this challenge is taken by those who really care about this lovely breed of dog.

KAZ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Don't need to do it to know my dogs are dilute free. Their pedigrees are spotless.

Never know for sure until you test. I was shocked to see that my one girl from field lines came back a PRA carrier years ago too. As the one statement reads, these things can lie dormant for a great many generations. By the way, it took me *5* generations before I got a clear PRA test on my choc lines and I KNEW I was breeding to tested Clear dogs. If no one tests for the dilute, we won't know for sure.

If nothing else, yellowbelly, do it to help prove that reputable breeders' lines DON'T have the dilute gene, that it doesn't belong and never has been there "naturally" as claimed by the few.

Agree with Anne, where things can pop generations later. You should hear some of the horror stories from some of the responsible rabbit breeders. The Flemish Breeders are doing like Anne is and being very, very selective. Very upset when people play with their breed. Truly understand.

And just think how fast 10 generations are for rabbits, compared to dogs.

KAZ

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Proud to be dilute free here too. I just have the one girl who is still young, but just in case she grows up well, passes clearances, etc...
    I knew she would be DD, but god forbid any dilutes show up generations from now, I want it crystal clear that they didn't come from any dog I bred.

And yes, WindyCanyon is 100% spot on about doing it to prove reputable lines don't have dilute.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Waste of money. We know where the dilute came from... don't have that in the pedigree, won't carry dilute. It won't "prove" anything anyway. You could have a kennel full of dominant black dogs, but it doesn't prove labradors as whole can't carry yellow or chocolate. Whatever we do, dilute breeders will simply say that we don't publicize our dilute carriers, just as they already do.... and the ignorant public looking for something new/cool believe them.

Can't unring a bell.... AKC allowed that bell to be rung.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    Waste of money. We know where the dilute came from... don't have that in the pedigree, won't carry dilute. It won't "prove" anything anyway. You could have a kennel full of dominant black dogs, but it doesn't prove labradors as whole can't carry yellow or chocolate. Whatever we do, dilute breeders will simply say that we don't publicize our dilute carriers, just as they already do.... and the ignorant public looking for something new/cool believe them.

Can't unring a bell.... AKC allowed that bell to be rung.
    To be honest, not part of the ignorant public. Been down that road with rabbits. Same scenario allowed by the ARBA. But if I was ever to breed, you better believe I would go to the breeder who could actually prove there was no dilute in their line. So Anne's way would be my way.

Yes the bell has been rung but guess what breeders can stamp out this problem. Seeing it happen with the Flemish Giant rabbit breeders. You talk about strict now. They run off people who experiment. They don't care if it's an accident or planned. You are ostricized. Seen it happen right before my eyes. This was no fly by night, very renowned East Coast breeder. And at first I thought it cruel, but after really researching, good for them.

Protect your breed. Don't care about AKC, as I don't care about ARBA. Letter organizations now that have the ear of certain influential groups (won't name them). Money talks.

This will never change. It's up to responsible breeders to control.

KAZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast