About becoming a breeder.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About becoming a breeder.

Alucard is offline Junior Member

DefaultAbout becoming a breeder.

Hi everyone. I was thinking of breeding for the first time. I want to know everyone opinion on it. I posted on a other form about wanting to become a breeder. I know what it take to become a reputable breed. I need good dogs that pass all test for issue labs have and the cost and care for the puppies. As well as finding good homes. What my concern is that people on the other forms I joined say I was going to be a backyard breeder if I breed labs for the purpose I wanted too. My 8 month old Yellow Lab is a sweet boy he comes from a reputable breeder who has passed all health test. Hi mother is a champion in agility. Same with his father but his father is also a good bird dog. I got my lab to be trained as a Service Dog. His brothers and sisters from pervious litters are champions, Service Dogs and Search and Rescue. Heck some also got pick to be a drug sniffer, and bomb detector dogs.

Now this is where I got my idea from. Here in Hawaii reputable breeders and what people call backyard breeders sell puppies for outrageous prices. I mean any where from $1000 to $7000 for mutts and pure breeds are any where from $1500 to $15,000 and moSt of the breeders for pure breeds are not reputable and do not test for health issues (I got Alucard for $1500 and he's on a monthly payment plan of $100). I wanted to breed good reputable Labs for my community to help people with disabilities, working dogs and family's that want a good dog for a reasonable price. I also want to drive the prices down for dogs in Hawaii. I have a feeling that most people here in Hawaii only breed for money just like the foster care system here. Most people sign up for foster care here because it gives them a nice $2000 check each month. I especially want to breed labs for Service Dog purposes and for Tharepy Dogs to work with elderly and children. I was on a hunt for a Service Dog for months. I suffer from so severe mental illnesses that I have got a lot better with because of just having Alucard with me and helping me. That's why i wanted to breed Labs. Every where I looked in Hawaii for a Lab was $1500 to $12,700. I finally found a reputable breeder by chance on my island that was willing to work with me on a payment plan for my lab. Granted Alucard is the only one that would never hit the show ring out of his brothers and sisters because he's a pinky but I didn't care. The breeder actually inspired me to do this.

Now is this a good reason or am I doing it for the wrong and will be consider a bad breeder?

If you want to know more about the story of finding Alucard just ask.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I don't even know where to start. So you are saying the parents have MACH titles so therefore.... he's breeding quality (or are you saying they are titled in agility...at maybe any level)? Do you know?
    What is the pedigree? What depth of pedigree do they have for title/ clearances?
    I realize Hawaii is isolated, but it's not that tough to get good breeding stock from the mainlands....
    My question to you is, do you REALLY think you have a chance to help IMPROVE the breed?

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

mauricio is offline Senior Member

i think the breeders should handle this one and god knows where you should start.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

I'd love to talk to the breeder selling puppies for $10,000+, wow.

In my opinion, a responsible breeder is involved in a club (to have the support system and shared knowledge of other breeders), competes with their dogs (to prove they have something that needs to be passed to another generation) and does ALL necessary health clearances. They breed dogs with the standard in mind and sell on limited registration to pet homes.

There are actual service dog organizations that breed their own dogs, you more than likely won't be able to do what they can as a solo operation. As far as therapy dogs, you can make a nice therapy dog out of many breeds and even mixes... I personally don't think its something that someone needs to build a breeding program around.

What's a "pinky"? A dudley?

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    I'd love to talk to the breeder selling puppies for $10,000+, wow.

In my opinion, a responsible breeder is involved in a club (to have the support system and shared knowledge of other breeders), competes with their dogs (to prove they have something that needs to be passed to another generation) and does ALL necessary health clearances. They breed dogs with the standard in mind and sell on limited registration to pet homes.

There are actual service dog organizations that breed their own dogs, you more than likely won't be able to do what they can as a solo operation. As far as therapy dogs, you can make a nice therapy dog out of many breeds and even mixes... I personally don't think its something that someone needs to build a breeding program around.

What's a "pinky"? A dudley?
    Yes he's a dudley. I normally call him pinky because most people where I live if I use the term dudley they think he's either stupid or sick. Alucards Sire and Dam compete in aglidy and are part of clubs here. I am working with Alucard on his obidiance right now and after that I am going to get him in to agility too.

Yeah breeders here are greedy. They breed dogs to make money. I understand paying $1500 for a pure breed here because the cost is so high and vet checks are way expensive. I pay for Alucard's 2nd and 3rd shots. My vet bill just for that alone and the office visit was over $500. Plus the cost of dog food here is outrageous. I buy a 20 bls of Iams puppy food for him and it's $40 a bag in Walmart. So just the basic care is high. I just think people abuse the rights to breed dogs here. Someone asked me if I wanted to purchase a AKC English Bulldog puppy for $7000 I almost died.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I don't even know where to start. So you are saying the parents have MACH titles so therefore.... he's breeding quality (or are you saying they are titled in agility...at maybe any level)? Do you know?
    What is the pedigree? What depth of pedigree do they have for title/ clearances?
    I realize Hawaii is isolated, but it's not that tough to get good breeding stock from the mainlands....
    My question to you is, do you REALLY think you have a chance to help IMPROVE the breed?
    Actually Hawaii is kind of isolated. In order to get a dog from the mainland it has to be at least 1 and half years old. Also you need to have it quarantined on the mainland for 2 weeks then it's quarantined here for 3 to 4 months. If you forget your paper work with all the blood test and shots or lose them on the way the dog is put to sleep right at the airport if you can't get them the papers in at least 12 to 24 hours. Plus the cost of flying the dog normally runs from $1700 to $4000. That is why people don't bring dogs over here especially for competitive reason and we don't bring our dogs over to the mainland to compete either. Also we have are own agility section. Unlike the Mainland where you compete with in any state or compitition. We are considered by the AKC our own sacluded agility and show. So in other words our titles that the dogs earn are compared separately from the rest of the States.

I do think I have a good chance at helping the breed. I at least want to give it my best shot and if I fail then that's it I won't breed again. I am one that is way against producing sick dogs or any animal for that matter or to make money. I do know I have a lot to learn and am willing to sit down and take the time to learn and not jump in blindly

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Before venturing into breeding for "therapy" or "service", definitely look into those organizations that do this. Like Nicole stated, there are organizations that strictly do this, but it might be different in Hawaii and you could be starting something special there.

KAZ

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

did you get him on full or limited registration? what does his breeder think of you breeding him?

are you prepared to get all his clearances? hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic, cmn before deciding? do both his parents have all these clearances?

Being a good breeder is not just anout having a "good cause" to breed for but doing ALL the steps right before making the final decision. and generally you start researching before getting the dog you "hope" to breed.

ALL labs should have a good solid temperment. thats the breed. to me this has never been a legit reason to breed (though i guess "better" than those who breed labs with questionnable/bad temperment.

what kind of therapy dog? a working seeing eye/seisure detection/compassionnate dog or like one that does visits in hospitals?

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

One thing I always look for in a breeder is: do they have the "facilities" to breed dogs. Do they have property? or are they just in someones back yard under a tarp, or in someones basement. Also, you need to think about the time commitment. Breeding puppies is like a full time job! You also need to think about is the financial cost. Health tests, food, supplies, the cost of whelping can all be very high especially if there are any complications.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Now now xracer.... my puppies are whelped and spend the first 4 wks in my basement. It's a darned nice one at that w/ a nice TV, futon for me, fully carpeted, etc..
    I kind of hate it when puppy buyers ask to visit to see my "facilities". I say, oh, you mean my HOUSE???
    Does this all go back to the Ian Dunbar book because I'd be willing to bet he's never raised a litter w/ some of things he writes/advises people to look for and expect in a breeder (100% "clean" puppy that is leash broke, sits, downs, etc at 8 wks).

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast