Difficulties with intact males?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difficulties with intact males?

DefaultDifficulties with intact males?

Hi, we are planning on getting a new male puppy in the next year or so, and need to start looking at different breeders and what litters they are planning. We already have Raven, who is spayed and almost 7 years old.

Our intention is to possibly use the dog for stud. Ideally, this pup would have a good pedigree, good temperment, we'd obtain a few obedience titles, and obtain a MH (or GMH) prior to breeding, and have pretty strict criteria for which females we would breed to (some of the breeding practices that we see locally bothers us).

Anyways, we're really not sure what to do and are trying to figure out pros and cons. So…for those of you with intact males - what have been some of your biggest difficulties? Escaping yards to find females in heat? Difficulties in field/obed training? Do they actually pee on eveyrthing? Increase in agression? A lot of the articles online do talk about the difficulties, but are they exagerations? (i.e. "the age of 3 is prime time for an intact male dog to be involved with a terrible tragedy, such as those dogs who have killed children. Obviously, not all intact male dogs are aggressive child-killers.") Seriously!!!

Thanks in advance! and I'm not looking for reasons why I should neuter or not breed - I'm fully aware of those! :-) We're just trying to make informed decisions…I'm currenlty of the opinion that it might be too diffiuclt to have an intact male for 10+ years in exchange for the litter or two he might sire in his lifetime.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Ideally, this pup would have a good pedigree, good temperment, we'd obtain a few obedience titles, and obtain a MH (or GMH) prior to breeding, and have pretty strict criteria for which females we would breed to
    Sounds like you're on the right track!!

Frankie was intact until about 2 years old and I didn't have any issues with him at all.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

justine is offline Senior Member

Sorry no help here, but I'm sure that there will be some others that chime in.

Where are you located? I'm sure that the breeders on here could help you locate other responsible breeders.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you are talking Bench Lab a reputable breeder is going to want the dog in the confirmation ring to obtain a title, and all his health clearances (hips/elbows, eyes (Optigen, cerf), heart. Its not easy to get a show quality pup that you want to breed from a reputable breeder. And if you can, a reputable breeder will want a co-owner contract and will want a say in who you breed to.

Other than that you should not have a problem with an intact male if you are responsible. Peeing on everything is a training issue, nothing to do with being intact. A well bred Lab with proper temperament will not be aggressive if left intact.

(i.e. "the age of 3 is prime time for an intact male dog to be involved with a terrible tragedy, such as those dogs who have killed children")

That is not a well bred dog.

We're quite active with our local retriever club so we know just about all of the breeders here in our province - some are great and we'd love to work with them and start looking at when they're planning their next litters. Some aren't so great, and we don't necessarily agree with what they do. There are a couple really nice stud dogs locally that we're following to see when they're siring a litter....and we'd like to develop another great stud dog! There aren't that many locally, so the ones that are local tend to get used A LOT!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Thats great that you are involved in your club and know the breeders well. Good luck in your search.

Snowco - we're primarily interested in obtaining field/hunt titles. No showing for us. We lucked out with our first lab - sire's pedigree is 100% field and dam's pedigree is 100% show (really good canadian lines) and we're finishing her MH this year. I'd love a pup from the same kind of lines - show and field. those are tough to find, I know. There is triple titled stud dog here, we watch him closely to see when he's siring another litter.

And those types of comments on the web about intact males - it's tough to know how much is reality and how much is exaggeration...it's why i come here! so thanks for the comments!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have an intact four year old, and he is the sweetest dog I have ever met. No peeing issues, never runs away, very gentle and no problems when it comes to hunt tests. (He is the dog in my signature).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

brody is offline Senior Member

often nuetered male dogs don't react well to intact dogs ...
    I presume you knwo the long term health risks ( just in my mind as I have a shi coming in who needs emerg nueter as his prostrate is enlarged to the point he's having trouble pooping)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I have a 5 yr intact male thats just fine. My 14 yr old male was neutered @ 10 yrs old he was a little hard headed about things but not bad. Training is a key for a happy intacted male.
    Alicia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast