Rubys' out of her crate!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubys' out of her crate!

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

DefaultRubys' out of her crate!

I had come to the hopeful conclusion that Ruby's remaining destructive tenancies were simply to get attention. She is 14 months old.

Last Friday I determined that it is time to "hide what you love most", be brave, and leave Ruby to roam the house as we sleep.
    That was 6 nights ago and Ruby has not touched anything at all.

I know however that she curls up on the carpet outside our bedroom door as I can hear her snort under the door after retiring.
    Every morning there she is, curled up in front of the bedroom door when I open it for the first time.

On one hand I feel sorry for her as now she is out of the crate at night but perhaps isn't availing herself of her comfy couch or open crate bed.
    On the other hand I have always admired dogs who will lay there un- tethered outside a store waiting for their owner to re-appear. Perhaps
    I am getting there, although at 14 months I still think she would go home with the first person that came along. :-)

I have no camera, infra-red or otherwise to determine what may be going on.
    I am also not sure what I would do if she is indeed doggingly waiting for 8 hours outside my door.

:Ron
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Congrats to Ruby finally getting the full run of the home. My husband and I have a bet on when our pup will finally get there. Have a ways to go but our other dogs were allowed full access around that time too and did wonderfully.

Have you thought of just opening the bedroom door and allowing Ruby access to sleep with you? Not in bed but maybe on the floor. That's usually where my adult dogs found their spot once given access to the home. I feel this pup will be in bed with us, but that will be something I need to work out with my husband. Pup LOVES the water bed, lol.

KAZ

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

is there a reason you don't let her in your room?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    is there a reason you don't let her in your room?
    I wanted to edit that in but alas ... no. Not fast enough.

She will hop up on the bed and claim her spot in dominating fashion - always. Then fidget fart and snore. ( Ok so do I )
    Our trainer says don't let them on your bed. So that's that.

So we give her the rest of the 1800 sq feet.

Adendum: Today Ruby has her BRAT on. Probably because I posted this today.

Ron

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

i see not wanting a dog in ones bed but what exactly is "claiming a spot on the bed in a dominating fashion"??

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfo View Post
    i see not wanting a dog in ones bed but what exactly is "claiming a spot on the bed in a dominating fashion"??
    Ever try to move a 60+ lbs spoiled dog from "her" spot, where that suits her, on a comfy sealy serta when she thinks it hers?

That's a non-negotiable spot, our bed.

Diet:

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby No! View Post
    Ever try to move a 60+ lbs spoiled dog from "her" spot, where that suits her, on a comfy sealy serta when she thinks it hers?

That's a non-negotiable spot, our bed.

again I have zero issues with no dogs on the bed. but I don't see how a dog being comfy on a bed has ANYTHING to do with dominance. Dogs are not always seeking ways to overthrow humans. they just live - they find a comfy spot and they want it. Has nothing to do with being boss, alpha do "dominating" you.

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

I have an almost 80 pound lab...he sleeps right between us under the covers with his head on a pillow. He has multiple titles, performs shows, bla bla bla. If you have a dominant dog, then you should't have a dog on the bed for lots of reasons. If you dog isn't dominant...no problem having a dog on the bed...mine is living proof.

I just put Ruby to "Bed".

Tonight I put a fuzzy blanket on the loveseat and patted saying "Heres' Rubys bed"
    She gave me the ears back wiggle body "ooh you're talking nice to me" thing but when I went down the hall to
    the bedroom I turned back to see her hop up to that spot on the loveseat - comfy corduroy.

I don't hear her at the door so maybe she's figured it out.

Diet:

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Maybe she did or maybe she found another spot to sleep. Anyway your home is still intacted and Ruby realizes her responsibility.

Good for you Ruby. Small steps. Keep working with her. She sounds great!

KAZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast