Puppies, older dogs and immunizations

Thread: Puppies, older dogs and immunizations

cubby is offline Member

DefaultPuppies, older dogs and immunizations

So I am getting a puppy. The dog will be 8 weeks old when we get it. It should have 1 set of shots. I have an older lab right now. he's 12.5 and sick with cancer. The fact is that he is going to have to be put down at some point soon. I realized the other day that he is due for his Parvovirus vaccine. Not sure why the doc didnt notice that back in June when he was there for his rabies vaccination, but whatever...I assume they figured they'd make me bring him back and have to pay for another appointment!

My older dog doesnt go out of the yard that much. Once in a while he comes to the park. He's not exhibiting any signs of parvo. He just has oral cancer.
    So, if I end up putting him to sleep before the puppy, and he hasnt had his parvovirus booster - is that going to be a problem? If he didnt have it before he dies I assume the pup wouldnt pick it up from his old poop around the yard, right? I plan to scoop all of the poop obviously, but I could miss a pile or 2.

2nd - Say I get him his vaccine booster (in case we arent ready to say goodbye to him before we get a puppy)...do I need to get this "X" number of weeks before the new puppy? So that they are both protected. I'm mostly concerned about the puppy. Or can I bring the older dog in a few days before we get the puppy and it will be OK? This sounds like I dont care about the older dog as much, but really I do. I am processing the fact that I need to put him down soon. He's happy and all of that but his oral tumor is large and peeking out of his mouth. He will sometimes bite it when he chews which causes it to bleed. His lymphnodes in his neck are enlarged. But he's still eating like a champ. He's about 90 pounds. He loves to spend time with you and he's always thrilled when its time for breakfast or dinner. I'd have an easier time making a decision if he wasnt eating or seemed sad.

At this point we are leaning towards euthanizing the older dog before the puppy comes. But I could change my mind. I hate thinking of putting him to sleep but he does have cancer and could be in some sort of pain even though he seems to enjoy life (and food) still.

we live in a suburban town. The plan with the puppy is that I'll probably keep the pup in the yard for peeing/pooping until all the shots are done and I can walk it around town. But I do plan on letting the dog play and meet other dogs that I know have had all their immunizations. its been awhile since I had a pup so I need a little refresher on whats OK to do and whats not. but I do want the dog to be socialized and easy-going.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cubby is offline Member

I know the answer to my question - I just need to get my dog's booster shot so that there wont be any questions. calling the vet now!

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

DO NOT VACCINATE A DOG WITH CANCER!!! If you need to be worried about your old dog possibly contracting parvo (highly DOUBTFUL), do a titer. I don't vaccinate for parvo after the 1 year booster.

And your puppy will be fine. Do the correct vaccinations at the correct times.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Please don't vaccinate a cancer patient. And pup will be fine as yellowbelly states if you do the correct vaccinations at the correct time.

KAZ

cubby is offline Member

Thank you! I am glad I came back and read this thread. I havent called the vet yet about it. I wont bring him in. I didnt really want to, but I wasnt sure if I should because of the new puppy.

Why are vaccinations bad for dogs with cancer? Is it all vaccinations? I did get him his rabies shot back in June and the vet didnt say anything about it being bad since he had cancer.

I'm sure I'll have to put him down soon, but right now he still seems happy and he is eating like a piggy and he is always looking for us in the house so that he can get petted/rubbed. He always is looking for food handouts. His tumor is at the point where he chews it sometimes though (accidentally), and his breath is awful. He's on antibiotics at the moment, but those will run out in a few days. I just wish I could see a clear cut sign that he has had enough. But these days its more tail wagging and begging for food than anything else. he is still excited to see people and come over for a head-rub.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Here's an interesting article I found regarding vaccination and cancer dogs.

Vaccinations in Dogs with Cancer | Oncolink - Cancer Resources

Sounds like he's doing really well. I believe he will give you signs on when the time has come to say goodbye. He sounds like a true sweetheart being excited to see people and the offering of that sweet head for rubs. Plus eating like a little piggy, excellent!

Enjoy every minute!

KAZ

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I don't even vaccinate for rabies on the old dogs. I can barely get my senior out of the house to potty. Chances that he's going to run into a rabid skunk and bite someone is slim to none.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I don't vaccinate any dog over 11 for anything other than rabies. And I only do 3 year vaccinations at that. Good luck with your oldster.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003