Thread: Does anyone like Cesar?

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDoes anyone like Cesar?

Does anyone here like Cesar Millan?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

If i look at his philosophy at a high level - training, exercise, then cuddles, sure I agree.

BUT beyond that no. Because of him it seems everyone things their PUPPY (baby!) is aggressive and dominant. Many many many well meaning people apply parts of his training all wrong and CREATE issues in their dogs without knowing. Stuff like alpha rolling puppies (which is a misunderstood concept in wolves to begin with) to "show them who's boss".

A good leader is FAIR and UNDERSTANDING and sets up his dogs for success. He does the opposite.

that's just my two cents. There are better ways to train to get to the same and better results. ways that create a bond between owner and dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

I like his philosophy. Our head trainer uses a lot of the same methods. The problem with cesar is that he is a "celebrity", and the majority of people who don't know anything about dogs or training watch his shows. I believe that people don't understand dominance, and dominant behaviors. They immediately associate dominance with aggression simply because they are uneducated. I HATE watching him on TV and watching the owners talk about how bad their dog is. As soon as he steps in ITS A MIRACLE - ITS A DIFFERENT DOG, HE REALLY IS THE DOG WHISPERER. The reality is, he knows how to read body language, he knows how to "correct" it etc. etc. I watch a lot of episodes on youtube, and the comment section always makes me crazy. It really shows how many people have no clue how to deal with dominance, aggression, or any other fearful habits with their dog.

i stand by my comments - he hasnt done research or studies or tried different things to see if they work. there are much better ways to train and get the same (and better) results that build a solid bond with a dog.

just because it "works" doesnt always mean it is the best or most effective way to do things.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Thank you Dryfo for the very informative link. Dog training has come a long way since I've last been in class, or maybe I'm looking at training my pup differently. but am looking forward to the different approach with my pup. Have started the positive approach (lots of research on this approach) the minute our new pup came home. Housetraining has truly been a breeze as we have been very adamant on setting up our pup for success. Lots of work, toting a pup in and out, but he's already going to the door to indicate he needs to go. And gives a clear signal when in his crate.

I'm looking forward to learning more from an experienced trainer on this new way (for me) positive training.

KAZ

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'm w/ xracer. I will say, I haven't watched Cesar myself, but I have a very good trainer/friend who I bring in from ~3 hrs away once a year who loves a lot of what he preaches.
    My trainer friend is one of the most fair, even keeled trainers there are but there are consequences when the dog refuses to do comply w/ a known/taught issue. (Oh yea, btw, she has multiple breeds from Min Pins, to Goldens to Bouviers and has earned multiple UDXs, an OTCH, perfect 200's in the obed ring and has done field work and tracking, so not "just" a pet trainer as many of these yahoos are). If you look at photos of Cesar and his pack, they don't look unhappy at all, and in fact look very comfortable in their positions. This is how I judge field trainers as well--- by how the dogs they are handling at tests, act around them. I try not to be judgmental about people but have to say, I have shuddered at some of Sophia Yins videos and blogs. Have tried the positive only thing (back in the late 90's) for a year w/ one, and it set me back a good *2* yrs w/ her. Dogs that have choices, and they know it, learn to give you the finger.... Just sayin, but I do compete in multiple venues so maybe that's the difference. And I live next to someone who never appears to give consequences to her dogs when they act badly (and that's daily lately), so it really peeves me to have to call my *8* in so that her 2 can get put back in her fence. So I guess it's your call. Leash your monster who is going to give you the finger, or be prepared for that dog to be hurt someday. By a car, by someone who has to protect their own or whatever. This same neighbor has had numerous bite incidences w/ her dogs, and I believe at least 2 cruciate repairs due to fence running. I can't stand her or the dogs anymore! I gave up years ago...

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I'm w/ xracer. I will say, I haven't watched Cesar myself, but I have a very good trainer/friend who I bring in from ~3 hrs away once a year who loves a lot of what he preaches.
    My trainer friend is one of the most fair, even keeled trainers there are but there are consequences when the dog refuses to do comply w/ a known/taught issue. (Oh yea, btw, she has multiple breeds from Min Pins, to Goldens to Bouviers and has earned multiple UDXs, an OTCH, perfect 200's in the obed ring and has done field work and tracking, so not "just" a pet trainer as many of these yahoos are). If you look at photos of Cesar and his pack, they don't look unhappy at all, and in fact look very comfortable in their positions. This is how I judge field trainers as well--- by how the dogs they are handling at tests, act around them. I try not to be judgmental about people but have to say, I have shuddered at some of Sophia Yins videos and blogs. Have tried the positive only thing (back in the late 90's) for a year w/ one, and it set me back a good *2* yrs w/ her. Dogs that have choices, and they know it, learn to give you the finger.... Just sayin, but I do compete in multiple venues so maybe that's the difference. And I live next to someone who never appears to give consequences to her dogs when they act badly (and that's daily lately), so it really peeves me to have to call my *8* in so that her 2 can get put back in her fence. So I guess it's your call. Leash your monster who is going to give you the finger, or be prepared for that dog to be hurt someday. By a car, by someone who has to protect their own or whatever. This same neighbor has had numerous bite incidences w/ her dogs, and I believe at least 2 cruciate repairs due to fence running. I can't stand her or the dogs anymore! I gave up years ago...
    I'm kind of an "odd duck" because I hold a bit more respect for those who actually use their dogs for what they were bred for. This coming from a pet owner, who feels that most pet owners have no clue of the instincts bred into their dogs and end up with monsters that do give you the finger. Have a 10 week old trying to do this now when he feels he's not ready to come in.

Have watched Mr. Milan for years and even his new show, and see no problems with his technique. His pack is amazing. And can see why most field trainers lean toward his techniques The training facility that I researched before pup was even 10 days old leans toward the positive approach, which is more the technique of choice for pets. I don't believe in giving dogs choices. I would think with labs, who do look towards their owners for direction, would be more confused with choices and that tends to lead to their destructive ways.

So sorry to hear what you have to deal with. Unfortunately with some pet owners, even going to classes, some just don't follow through and create the monsters that give them the finger. And those around them suffer for it. Especially your *8*. Easier to complain than to actually do.

KAZ

hauts is offline Member

I too agree with the dominant techniques. I once had a vet show me the "alpha roll" years ago to control one of my dogs (as a pup) showing her teeth at us. We were trying to scrape a sample off her head to determine what type of mange she had and needless to say, she didn't like it and was showing her teeth to let us know. The vet showed me the alpha roll and even showed you can do it while praising the dog with a simple good girl/boy. I applied this to my pup at the time as she often would bark at me when I was not paying attention to her. It took only a few weeks of this and she was definitely more obedient. This technique may not be good for every dog, as they all have their different personalities, but I think it works with most as long as it's applied with common sense.

I will just add - positive based training does NOT mean you never have consequences when a dog disobeys. It just means you set up the dog and reward for the good. and "reward" doesn't mean lure with treats for life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast