Two Labs...DC to SF. Fly or Drive? Been a long time!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Labs...DC to SF. Fly or Drive? Been a long time!

Ender's Dad is offline Member

DefaultTwo Labs...DC to SF. Fly or Drive? Been a long time!

Hey all,

It's been a looooong time since I've been on these forums. My yellow lab, Ender, is now an amazing 8 years old, and his brother Luxo is 6. My wife and I are moving to San Francisco in October. I'm about 70/30 on driving vs. flying. Ender is a beast in the car, he loves barking at full blast. I am not looking forward to the potential 7-day road trip with the two of them, but I am not opposed to it if I think flying will cause distress and harm.

BUT, I do want to look at flying non-stop as an option. I'm curious if anyone has experience flying TWO labradors nearly 3000 miles in Pet cargo. United Airlines seems to be my best bet. My wife's new employer is paying the whole shebang, so it's really a question of if I spend 7 days with my dad and the pups in an SUV driving across the US or spending 10 hours coordinating, loading, and boarding the boys on a plane to SF.

Any advice, recommendations, tips, tricks, comments, queries, etc are welcomed.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

7 day drive sounds awful. 10 hour flight sucks but it is only 10 hours and then you are done

nicole is offline Senior Member

Don't you plan on driving your car(s) out anyway?

If your dog is "a beast" in the car, I can't imagine he'd be happy in a crate loaded in cargo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post

If your dog is "a beast" in the car, I can't imagine he'd be happy in a crate loaded in cargo.
    Good question about moving vehicles anyway.

Also, and I don't know, but can the vet prescribe something similar to xanex? Let the dog rest/sleep the 10 hour flight and be done instead of 7 days of misery and stress.

Just throwing things out. I have never been in this situation

madigan11 is offline Junior Member

As far as I know sedation is not allowed if your dog is flying in the cargo area, nor is it a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by madigan11 View Post
    As far as I know sedation is not allowed if your dog is flying in the cargo area, nor is it a good idea.
    I did not say sedate. I said Xanex or something similar. I know a guy whose dog is prescribed that (maybe diff name but same concept) for anxiety. Helps the dog relax when it gets stressed. I was thinking something along those lines.

madigan11 is offline Junior Member

Something to just calm them a bit then. My friend just flew her dog from Florida to New Jersey and gave her dog benadryl. Her vet suggested trying it. She has used it many times before to calm her dog for car travel and it works well for her dog. She said the flight went well and her dog arrived in New Jersey fine. I've also heard of Xanex being used.

FLEA is offline Member

I would fly them.....ANY AIRLINE BUT DELTA...DO NOT PUT THEM ON DELTA FLIGHTS

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

D.C to San Francisco is 2800 miles. 2800/7=400 miles a day. Being from Texas, 400 miles is just a short "side trip". Assuming your vehicle is in good shape, you should certainly be able to do better than 400 miles in a day and limit the number of days on the road.
    I understand you said "been a while". Maybe you average 50 m.p.h. If so, my regrets. Somehow, I just can't see taking 7 days for the trip.

Ender's Dad is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post

No, I'm selling my beat up 98 CRV before leaving DC and getting a new car when I get to SF (Yeah Tesla S!!!) So I'm planning on renting a minivan to drive out. He just gets really loud for the first 30-45 minutes of a long ride and usually settled down. I'm leaning more towards the single day of travel by air vs. 7-8 days of broken up travel by car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast