Where did you get your Lab?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did you get your Lab?

Shawn156 is offline Member

DefaultWhere did you get your Lab?

I looked for a few year before I found Jake and visited several places before I bought one. I was looking for one with papers,that isn't important to me since he is a pet,not a breeder.
    I finally found Jake 2 hours away.I went and seen him.Asked several questions and he was vetted before he was put up for sale. I seen a picture of mom but not of dad. He was born on a farm in southern Indiana. The person who sold them already had them dewormed a few times,1st shots and shot for kennel cough.He goes in 3 days to get his last set of puppy shots and rabies shot. He is 2 1/2-3 times bigger then when I first brought him home. When we went there,they had 2 males and Jake picked my girlfriend. He came to her and started to play and lick her.That sold me along with what the person done selling them done with the vet. Many people who breed with no papers don't usually vet them. I paid $125 for him plus $40 in gas to get there and back.
    So where did you get your lab and why did you choose the one you have?
    Jake Black Lab Born 4/22/14

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cubby is offline Member

Well my current lab is 12. He was my first dog all of my own. I got him when I bought my first house at age 23. I knew I wanted a black lab and I knew I prefered the show-type labs with the bog blocky heads. I did my research and I found a breeder about 90 minutes away who was having a litter in the next 6 months. I visited her and met the dogs and then gave a deposit for my soon to be puppy. I paid $850 for him, that was back in 2002. I think there was 6 puppies in the litter and if I remember correctly 2 or 3 of them were black males. There were also a couple of chocolates in the litter as well. I picked my dog because he was the biggest of the 2 or 3 black males that were in the litter.. I just wanted a big black lab. He turned out perfect. He's the sweetest dog you'll ever meet.

I am getting another puppy this time and I'll probably ask the breeder for input on which puppy to choose. I have kids now and I want a puppy that is more laid-back (in general, not more so than my current dog), so I think the breeder should be able to point me in the right direction. I still want a black one, but I am also open to chocolate. There should be both blacks and chocolates to choose from.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

a rescue

even if you want "just a pet" you want a healthy lab with proper temperment. a lab. a reputable breeder that breeds for temperment and health (by doing all tbe clearances) is greatly important. there are too many labs out there to support people who breeds dogs without doing their homework and tbey are the reasonso many labs now have horrible health issues and why we now have labs with horrible temperments.

a lab is not a lab no matter what as ling as mom amd dad were "pure bred". a lab is a lab with health and the gold star temperment thanks to the work and diligence of an ethical breeder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

All from reputable breeders.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Right here for the past 19+ yrs.

My cost? A lot more than that! It's ~$1000 up front to make sure the bitch I breed is free from health issues plaguing the breed plus all the competition/ titling expenses to prove the girl worthy. Another several thousand by the time I pay for the stud fee, all the testing for timing, shipping, insemination, whelping expenses, puppy well checks, CERFs, etc. I also provide 8 wks of basically round the clock free labor.... and then a lifetime of support to the new owners. Thinking of it this way, buying from a breeder is thevery best decision a person can make. I know from experience in dealing w/ rescue inquiries that most byb types won't take back their pups for life, let alone stand behind genetic issues.

Vaccines and vet well checks (which may total ~$100) are a tiny fraction of my inputs. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Not all of us can spend $500 or more on a dog at once.My Lab seems to be healthy and has a good temperment. I don't buy into the "gold star breeder" or "bad breeding" is why there are so many labs with bad temperments. Labs are smarter then most dogs and how they are raised is what will be the ultimate factor in how a puppy will act as an adult. My first Lab was sick a few days after bringing him home and never got much better after. BUT he was born in a puppy mill and we all know most puppy mill dogs are not bred right or healthy to start with.Learned a big lesson there. I have had mine for nearly a month and the only vet visits have been for shots and he was given a clean bill of health when I took him in.I had them do a "physical" on him since I had bad luck with my last one.

This is no different then pit bulls.If they are raised not to fight or act aggressive,then they won't if trained properly.I have been around both mean and nice pit bulls. Some people really shouldn't breed pits since so many are raised to be aggressive.My daughter volunteers for the local shelter and they have so many pit bulls that they are having to consider putting them down since they are hard to adopt out as adults. She has never came to me and told me about any labs being mean or aggressive.

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

You went and seen him?? Excuse me but could you be a spammer??

jparker is offline Junior Member

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/o...-adoption.html

Rescue. $350 for a pure bred chocolate lab with green eyes and the best sweetheart disposition, great teeth and coat, had all her vaccinations, was fixed, had been to puppy obedience, came with a bed a crate and a big box of toys. I have literally never loved anything more my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dad View Post
    You went and seen him?? Excuse me but could you be a spammer??
    No I am not a spammer.Why would you think I am a spammer?

nicole is offline Senior Member

You should have done more research before getting your puppy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast