What to expect from breeder?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to expect from breeder?

cubby is offline Member

DefaultWhat to expect from breeder?

I am expecting to hear from a breeder later this week about whether or not she has confirmed her dog's pregnancy. If she has I will be putting down a $500 deposit for a puppy that will cost $1800 total. This is a legitimate breeder. She does like 5 tests on her dogs. Hips, elbows, eyes, cardiac, EIC. There may be one more. So i feel confident in that. I did forget to ask her some questions about to process though and I will do that once I find out if she is actually expecting a little or not. But I figured I would ask here and see what you guys think first.

She would be expecting a 50% chocolate 50% black litter. My preference is for a black male. What happens if she doesnt have a black male? I MIGHT be ok with a chocolate male. But I definitely want a male. So would I get my deposit back if she didnt have a black male and if I decided I didnt want a chocolate? Would I have to wait for the next litter (maybe in a year or so?).

Ideally she will have a perfect black male for me. My husband is not convinced on the chocolates. he thinks chocolates are hyper. I dont necessarily believe that but I dont want an "I told you so" if the new dog ends up being more on the energetic side. I'd personally be fine with a chocolate if I met him and I fell in love and he was low key. And I just really want a boy because my current lab who has cancer is male and I just like the bigger size of a male and I think they are a little "simpler" if you know what I mean. I like a dog that only thinks about eating, playing and getting a belly scratch. LOL.

I havent asked the breeder yet because I dont want to bug her and make her decide that I am too high maintenance. But if I am paying 1800 for a puppy, I want to get the puppy I want, you know?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Well, first of all, if you have met the mom and the breeders other dogs, and they are of the temperament you want, then it won't make a difference on the color. Hyper chocolates come from the past when they were over bred with no regard to clearances and temperament etc. If you are buying a puppy from a good breeder, especially one that shows, I wouldn't worry about color (unless you just hate brown).

The question about the deposit is really for the breeder. What do they do? I personally don't take deposits until I have puppies to fulfill what people want. If they won't refund the money if a black male is not available, then you need to pass on this breeder, unless they have other bitches they plan to breed...but then you are getting into the territory of if they have that many girls to breed, that might not be a good thing either.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I agree w/ the above. The contract should state what the stipulations are regarding the deposit and refunds thereof. Most of us would return the deposit if we don't have a suitable pup (right color/sex) for the person.

Funny thing, I had an accomplished performance/potential show home wanting only a BM this past winter. Actually the husband in that case had dug in his heels too! Well, my lone BM really didn't turn out to be what I'd want to place w/ her due to basic structure etc not being quite as nice as I'd want, and I let her know that in advance that it wasn't looking keen. However, the CMs were very promising... and I had a promising BM from a later born litter too, if she wanted to wait and see. Before she even got home (she stayed here for a few days as she was out of state), her husband had conceded that choc would be okay afterall, and was emailing the photo of my pick for them to his friends. Needless to say, they adore him! So my thought is, get what you want, but be sure your priorities are right. Color is NOT everything, and if it came from the same pedigree you are interested in, what the heck????

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cubby is offline Member

This breeder seems very reputable. She has 7 dogs right now and the one girl she is breeding is the only one "of age" right now. The other ones are either older and past the age of breeding, or they are younger and not ready yet. The breeder does show the dogs and the father of this litter went as far as Westminster.

I have met the dogs. When I met them the mother was already in heat. She was pretty excited to meet me, so its hard to tell if the dog is more hyper or not? I dont see how meeting a dog once can really tell you how crazy they are. Since even the calmest dogs can go bonkers when they meet new people. My dog is 12 and he gets excited when people come to the door! Anyways, all the dogs were very sweet tempered and happy to meet me and all of that. I also got to see the mother's mother and she was also in heat and waiting to be fixed.

The father of the litter is from the same kennel as the father of my dog (but from different parents), and my current dog would be a great-great uncle to the mother of this new litter. So maybe I can tell their temperments a little bit since I have a dog from the same lines? The dogs are kept inside the house with their own finished basement, couches, dog beds, etc...They are very spoiled and its obvious that the owner takes very good care of them.

I guess I just need to ask the breeder about her policy on the deposit before I send it to her.

Thanks!

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

Are you interested in showing the pup at any time in the future?? $1800 for a pup should get you a dog that will do well in confirmation (The stud made it to Westminster) Reason I asked is are you getting the dog on a "Limited" registration or a "Full" one. IMO, $1800 is too much for limited registration...

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Sorry, I respectfully disagree Max Dad. Most reputable breeders charge the same price for pups in a litter, since they all come from the same parents who had the health clearances, were all raised with the same dedication and care, and have the same guarantees for health.

While some within a litter may appear more show quality when evaluated and go as 'show prospects', I don't know anyone who guarantees the pup will grow up to *be* successful in shows and/or be breeding quality as an adult. That's why breeders are so very careful of whom they sell pups to on full registration and many will only do it on a co own so they can prevent the dog from being bred if it doesn't turn out. Other than showing/breeding, there is no reason for a breeder to sell on full registration, and those who offer full registration to anyone willing to pay a higher price is doing the breed a disservice, imo.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dad View Post
    Are you interested in showing the pup at any time in the future?? $1800 for a pup should get you a dog that will do well in confirmation (The stud made it to Westminster) Reason I asked is are you getting the dog on a "Limited" registration or a "Full" one. IMO, $1800 is too much for limited registration...
    On the east coast, that is a normal price for a well bred puppy on limited registration.

Eresh and Nicole: Note: IMO= "In my opinion". IYO ("In YOUR opinion") the price is right. It's the O.P.'s money, her decision.

nicole is offline Senior Member

And I'm saying YOUR opinion doesn't mean squat. That's the price someone will pay for a well bred puppy in certain areas.... no opinion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    And I'm saying YOUR opinion doesn't mean squat. That's the price someone will pay for a well bred puppy in certain areas.... no opinion about it.
    Nicole: I dont know what your problem is but I bet its hard to pronounce...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast