Lab Temperament - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lab Temperament

imported_Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab Temperament

I spent almost 15 years with a Black Lab and the last four and a half years with a Yellow. Both were and are well behaved after training and lots of patience. First Lab, hope you do your homework and are prepared for the experience. There will be lots of help here for you to survive the infamous Lab puppyhood, which can last up to three years.
    You said you want a family pet. Well just try and stop a Lab from being part of the family.
    <br />Duke and Freckles

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beaus Pete is offline Senior Member

Color has nothing to do with it you can give your puppy aptitutde test to help decide but it is not 100% accurate either here is the link....http://www.volhard.com/puppy/pat.htm
    <br /><br />Glitter Graphics

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Read "Marley & Me" before you make your decision. *It has lots of good advice about who NOT to get a Lab from.

Also, be advised that MOST Labs need daily vigorous exercise. *Not just a walk around the block OR time in the back yard but 30-60 minutes of daily vigorous exercise.

Also be advised that MOST Labs shed copiuously.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Also look at shelters there are so many purebred and mixed labs being put to sleep every day and most of them are wonderful dogs that just didn't get the chance they deserved.
    Yes, definitely, I second that!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

The trainer that we took Kona to in her first 6 months, was on us constantly about "Chocolates are bred to be more high strung....blah blah" "Chocolates are definately more hyper.." etc. etc. etc.
    Now, I knew this was NOT true....Kona was only 4 months old, of course she had a lot of energy! She still does! But this lady was convinced she was right, and had the rest of the classed convinced of it as well! We stopped taking her to that trainer, and started doing it ourselves. Much easier, and she gets socialization at the dog park.
    She needs 2 good runs a day or she's nuts.
    Sam wasn't as energized as Kona when he was younger. But he still had a ton of energy.
    Sammy has started to really mellow since he hit 4. He's still got a lot of energy, but I think he's finally "matured", y'know? We're giving Kona the same time frame, since they are related.
    We got 2 labs with a lot of energy, and I wouldn't change it for the world. They're both well-behaved,good-mannered dogs...and that's all I ask.
    Good luck in your search, and yes...please consider a shelter or rescue, that's where I'll be going when/if I get another one.

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

fburke is offline Senior Member

thank you for all the feed back.....still not sure of what i may want maybe Black or Chocolate...i know all puppies can get in mischief, ....great reading on this board....thanks again all who replyed

speechley is offline Senior Member

I don't think the colour has any pointers.* I have always thought it more of a boy/girl thing myself.* I had a yellow male and black female.* Both were mad, the male more boisterous but more loving, the female, mad, very playful but not as fussy.

I now have a chocolate boy and he is very boisterous and very loving.* My friend has a choc female, that is very playful, totally mad but in a calmer way to Woody.* She won't do cuddles though like Woody does.

I always find the male labs play harder and rougher and seem to stick together when they meet, and thats yellow black and choc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12