Hind leg strain or something else?

Thread: Hind leg strain or something else?

onecrazymamma is offline Junior Member

DefaultHind leg strain or something else?

We have a just turned 6 year old yellow. She weighs about 57lbs and is very athletic and has been her entire life without any issues. Her main source of exercise is ball chasing and swimming, and until we lost our almost 11 year old to mouth cancer, they played and played and played endlessly in our backyard - this was just a month ago that we lost our pup - so they were playing endlessly in March.

About 2 weeks ago, our friends were here with their lab, they played a ton, and when their dog jumped into the back of their SUV, Emmie followed - she has never EVER had issues jumping - she's a freaking spring board! But when she did - she held her back right leg up, whined for a second, jumped off, and immediately laid down on the ground for a few minutes. Within a minute or two, she was acting normally.

Over that time, I've noticed she is more reluctant to jump up on the couch, our bed, or into the car - BUT she is exercising normally (and jumping up a few onto the dock for her daily dock jumping/swimming, ball fetching), playing normally, and the other day, we were fostering a pup, they were playing funky, and it seemed the same thing happened to her again, but within moments, she was acting normally.

I started her on Rimadyl the other day, and kept her quiet for 2-3 days until I couldn't keep her quiet any longer -- SHe was back exercising and playing with our foster better than ever with NO issues. She is currently off the rimadyl.

Well, Monday morning she jumped up onto our HIGH bed (hadn't done that in weeks), and I knew immediately that it happened again - she jumped off, held her back right leg up for a few moments and was fine again.

Does this sound like a luxating patella? Just seems weird that it would come on so suddenly like this with NO history EVER in her life of any issues, etc...or something else like ACL? Or just a simple strain? I've manipulated her hind leg with no pain, her joints seem extremely stable, no swelling.
    Now that our foster pup is gone, I can REALLY rest her.

Oh, and she also had a positive lyme titer earlier in June. WHen this originally happened we decided to put her on a cycle of doxy in case it had to do with Lyme.

Anyone have any insight?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

madigan11 is offline Junior Member

It sounds like it could be a partial cruciate tear. I would take her to your vet and let them exam her. Usually dogs have to have some mild sedation and a drawer test is performed.

dogfur is offline Member

I would take her to the vet. Often they can feel is something is wrong without sedation. If they think they need to do more they will sedate and take xrays. Good thoughts coming.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

onecrazymamma is offline Junior Member

She hasn't had any further episodes in a week, and we have been limiting her exercise. My girlfriend mentioned since our dog is quite jumpy and agile that she may have strained her iliopsoas muscle (groin) - which does make total sense. If it happens again, off to the vet she goes!