Need to discuss this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to discuss this

Jade65 is offline Member

DefaultNeed to discuss this

I am a widow of 14 yrs, my yellow lab who will be 10 has been my life since i got her...yes she is spoiled, does not get along too well with other dogs or people , not mean just wants to jump,all over them...she was diag. With seizures a month ago and is on phenobarbital twice a day......I became sick a few yrs back and thought I was going to die ,,,, but fought to,live for her....now I became ill with other medical issues and just have a feeling my life will be short now....I will,be 71 in a couple months......I have a thought that no one will want a sick old dog and would never give her the attention I do..she is with me night and day, if I die iam thinking of having her put to sleep....I cannot bear to think of her sadness or someone mistreating her. I have no one to care for her. If you think I am an awful person, that is ok right I think iam too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

The place to resolve this issue is with friends or family (if available) not over the internet. If that is a problem, make contact with the nearest dog rescue center or vet to ask for assistance.
    You need to act soon to get this problem resolved, the local priest or pastor should be able to give you some assistance.
    I wish you and your pet well.

Jade65 is offline Member

Thank you reply. .the reason I came here is because I have no one to discuss this with....people who are not animal lovers do not get it their solution is have a shelter take her...she is old sick with seizures, etc. I do not want her to spend one day in a shelter. I guess my only solution is to stay alive so I can care for her until it is her time.I did speak with priest who said...you are worrying too much...she is an animal!!!! What????? I will never ask his advise again for sure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

This is the saddest post I have ever read. I look at it this way....14 is a fairly ripe old age.
    Whatever you decide will be best for the two of you.
    I love my dog so much. You made a grown man cry reading this.....

Dad of Four is offline Member

Sorry to hear about the medical issues the both of you are going through. Her well being just might be the thing that keeps you going. If you donít feel comfortable or canít find anyone willing to take on the responsibility of a sick dog if you pass before her, then I suggest you get a living will (if you donít already) with instructions as to exactly what youíd like done with you beloved girl. Even if you feel euthanasia is the only thing possible for her. Granted many may not like what I just said but no one is walking in your shoes. For me all me beloved dogs who have passed have been creamated and Iíve left specific instructions that all of them are to be placed with me when my time has come.
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/2005
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/2010
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10

At the Bridge
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/2009 - 3/19/2015
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/2009 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Speak with any friends or family about your concern for your pet. I am actually written into the will of a friend of mine, should something happen to both her and her husband, I get all of her dogs and a monetary amount to care for them.

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

I can't help with much in your post but i will say putting your dog on CBD oil would almost assuredly be better than what you have it on now for the seizures

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

I am terribly sorry for your health concerns and your situation.

1 - go thru your family and friends. Of course you don't need to discuss this with those that are not animal lovers. But do you not have ANY family, extended family or friends that are dog lovers? NONE? If you find someone who is a dog lover, talk to them. Especially if you can leave some $$ with the dog to help offset some of the expense (which will completely depend on teh situations).

2 - if you unfortunately do not have dog lovers in the family you trust, search for dog rescues in your area. All breed rescues, lab rescues. Unless you are VERY VERY rural, there are dog rescues ALL OVER. Dog rescues are NOT shelters or pounds. They are a group of volunteers and dogs stay IN HOMES with foster families until they find a good adoptive family. Find out about their adoption process (should include adoption applications and home visits and reference checks). Even if you are not ready NOW you can contact them to start screening and pick 1 or 2 that you think are good. Maybe if they can't take the dog in they can help you find a suitable home for her.

foreman is offline Junior Member

I just wanted to drop a few lines and let you know that I do not think that these thoughts of yours make you an awful person. On the contrary - I think that you are so attached and dedicated that you want to be prepared and think of the best thing you can do to your sweetheart. I feel you, I really do. This year my grandpa passed and he had a beautiful white dog, some small mixed breed. I took him with me, gave him the best care a dog can get but the poor fella just couldn't live without my pops. He was old, too, about 15 years on the clock already. My grandpa anticipated that and even warned me that this might happen. Anyways, I'd advise you to think about any close people/friends, that could make the transition and be able to look after your lab, cause after all, it's a living thing. But if you think that it doesn't have that much left and couldn't live without you side by side, you have your right to do what you think is best, I guess.

dogfur is offline Member

I do not think you are awful. This must be the most heartbreaking thing for you. Where do you live? There are many people who used to be here who rescue and maybe one of them will look in and help you. Rescues are great and they make sure your dog is well treated.

Hoping your health improves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast