Taking dog on trips with you, how do you keep them cool?

Thread: Taking dog on trips with you, how do you keep them cool?

Melswife is offline Junior Member

DefaultTaking dog on trips with you, how do you keep them cool?

Looking to see if anyone knows of any type of doggie air conditioning for traveling? I want to take my dog with me everywhere but end up leaving her home a lot because if I am going to the store etc she can't go inside and she would get too hot inside my jeep. Is an open on all sides style of crate in the bed of a truck with a shade over it sufficient to keep a dog cool if you are in a store for an hour or more? I live in WA state so our usual highs are in the 80s, we rarely get anything close to 90 or above. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cubby is offline Member

No, I would never leave a dog in a car for 1 hour in 80 degree weather. Not with all windows open and not with shade. That is just too hot for them. I could see for 10-15 minutes, but I think if you are leaving the dog alone in a car for 1 hour they would probably prefer being at home. I hear stories all the time of dogs dying in hot cars.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

leave the pup at home.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't leave her unless she had air conditioning. I was wondering if there was such a thing as an air conditioned crate that could go in the back of our truck to keep her cool.

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

I a, not sure where she bought it but a woman who takes her dog to same place i do for training has a battery operated fan that attaches to the crate. She has a Ford Explorer and dog travels in crate in back so the AC does not blow direct. She attaches the fan to help with circulation.

But I think leaving a dog in a crate for an hour while you are in the store is a terrible idea. I don't want to insult you but that really is just a terrible idea. Leave the dog at home if you are going to be in store that long.

well I really wasn't planning on taking her places where she would have to be left that long but if I have to stop someplace when I have her with me I would like to have an option to keep her safe, for example my kids have to go to the bathroom, with an 8 year old and a 2 year old that can a lot longer than if I run in and go in under 3 minutes. I'm just looking for options in case something happens and I would have to leave her for longer than just 5 minutes. right now she only goes to puppy class, the pet store or the feed store because i know she can go in those places. I'm just trying to cover anything that may come up. Especially in a road trip kind of situation.

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

In Canada, especially where I live, people phone the police on people who leave dogs in the car. I've seen police smash windows open and take dogs away, people are written tickets regularly as well. Anything above 70 degrees is too hot for a dog. Our truck has air conditioning in the trunk where our dog sits so for road trips he has a bed in the back and two air vents in the ceiling that blow cold air.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Ryobi has a rechargeable fan. Check Home Depot.

foreman is offline Junior Member

The longest I've left my Bucky in the car, on the parking lot, with the engine and AC on was 20 minutes. When I got back he was perfectly OK, laying down and chilling, waiting for me. But the mere nerves and tension that I had while I was in the store were too much. It was kind of an emergency so I had no other options but if I could I wouldn't have left him in the car. A solution that would make me feel safe would be very nice.