Hamilton is freezing

Thread: Hamilton is freezing

judiz is offline Senior Member

DefaultHamilton is freezing

Little background, several weeks ago, while walking Hamilton he took off after a bird, sending me face down on the pavement. I decided Hamilton and I needed a refresher course in obedience training so we are back in school.

The trainer recommended replacing the harness with an Easy Walk which would reduce pulling. Problem now is Hamilton is rebelling against the Easy Walk by freezing. Comes to a dead stop and won't take a step, could be in the middle of crossing the street or on the sidewalk, wherever he decides to sto, he stops.

I have to pull him to get him to move which hurts him and looks horrible or bribe him with a treat which is not the way to go because then he freezes knowing he will get a treat.

I have gotten some suggestions on how to deal with this but none are 100% effective so I am asking for your suggestions.

Thanks.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Little background, several weeks ago, while walking Hamilton he took off after a bird, sending me face down on the pavement. I decided Hamilton and I needed a refresher course in obedience training so we are back in school.

The trainer recommended replacing the harness with an Easy Walk which would reduce pulling. Problem now is Hamilton is rebelling against the Easy Walk by freezing. Comes to a dead stop and won't take a step, could be in the middle of crossing the street or on the sidewalk, wherever he decides to sto, he stops.

I have to pull him to get him to move which hurts him and looks horrible or bribe him with a treat which is not the way to go because then he freezes knowing he will get a treat.

I have gotten some suggestions on how to deal with this but none are 100% effective so I am asking for your suggestions.

Thanks.
    I dont know if this will help but whenever i have difficulties with my lab on the lead i always go back to my slip lead for a period of time. its a great lead, helped with pulling etc..maybe he might respond better to that kind?
    Slip Leads - Turner Richards Gundog Equipment

I will look into it, is it similar to a choke collar?
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

If used properly the lead shouldn't choke the dog. It sits high up right behind the ears and one side had the loop behind the ear, to correct the dog a sharp pull upwards corrects the dog easily with very little effort. I found it helped me so much with my lab.

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

My lab is on a drill team (obediance/agility/tricks) and has tons of shows this summer. Everyone on the team (20 people) all use very thin slip chains made by deval. The head trainer has all of her dogs on them, all of our dogs on them, and all of the people who start obedience classes must wear one. They are guaranteed not to break - if they do, you get a replacement at no extra charge. The dogs wear them all the time at home, and at shows.

I will look into it, thanks