puppy food minefield!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: puppy food minefield!

MrsK81 is offline Junior Member

Defaultpuppy food minefield!

It's been a long time since we had a puppy in our house... 16 years to be exact and the foods we thought were the best around back then seem to be the worst ones now.

We bring our chocolate lab boy home in 3 weeks and he'll be 8 weeks old exactly. The breeder is giving us a bag of dog food to see us through the first week or two and I know changing it will need to be a gradual thing hit my question is what is the best food to see him through to adulthood? I'm in the UK and have seen so many conflicting reviews about the well known brands... pro plan bakers pedigree James well beloved etc. I'm just wondering what you all feed / fed your little ones on? Please help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

If you researched your breeder and picked someone knowledgeable and reputable they are a good source of information. If they have raised litters and kept puppies they likely have seen what works for their lines.

I would personally recommend sticking to the food the breeder fed for at least one big bag (one month) so this gives you time to see if it works. If it works, don't rock the boat Ask him what he is feeding and find a place to get a bag. If you are driving out to pick up the puppy and there is no store near you that sells it, go to pick up a bag on the way to pic up the puppy.

Mr Lab man is offline Junior Member

I have 2 english labs femal 2 years old and male 8 months old we use Flint river ranch dry kibble never had a problem,It is mail order only I think it is a decent dog foog.I think their is so much information out there it is so confusing wich is the best food.
    Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He will be on Pro Plan Puppy which we were more than happy to keep him on until I read some really awful reviews so 1 started researching other brands. Our breeder feeds the mother the Same brand (obv Adult version) & they're providing a bag of food when pick Yogi up.

Just wanted to give him the best start Thanks for the advice •

FLEA is offline Member

If I were the breeder and I found out you switched the food that I recommended and have used on my LINE of dogs I would be PISSED. Stay with what the breeder recommends, they know what works best for their line of dogs.

With all due respect i asked for advice not a lecture. FYI we had every intention of staying with the food provided by our breeder but after researching it turned out it was one of the brands I've seen people warn others to stay away from. This was the breeder's first litter and even they admitted they were still learning themselves. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is more concerned about giving my pup the best start in life with the best food we can find rather than staying with a brand just to avoid offending a breeder.

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately, this website is populated by a number of "lecturers". As you have experienced, it goes "ask a question; get a lecture". There are some good, helpful, people here; as well.
    Do not be discouraged, you are clearly not an amateur dog owner. If you continue to research dog foods, you will find that some that are highly advertised are not necessarily suited for all dogs. You are the best judge of what works for your pups health and well being.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Many, many thousands of labs (show, field, and pet) do great on Pro Plan. (though I prefer the focus or sport formulas over savor due to savor's soy content). Do you have a specific concern about ProPlan?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

So put it this way (and no, I am not a purina fan, but...), what brand / formula has your breeder's dogs done well on to get good orthopedic, skin, etc health, from? For me, it's Euk LBP. Not everyone likes that either. Oh well! Just ask yourself what really is important and you'll have your answer.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

I posted this in the run up to bringing Yogi home. When he first joined us we kept him on pro plan to try and help him adjust to life with us as smoothly as possible. Now we've seen him on proplan for about a month we are glad we stuck with it. He doesnt seem to hace any issues digestively speaking, he's well and h is coat is glossy. There were just so many conflicting reviews about every different brand out there and it left our brains literally smoking!! For as long as he's in puppy food we'll stick with this and see how he fares when we switch him to adult.

Thank you all for your help/advice this site has been a great source of info for us and thankfully the lecturers and know all seem to be in the minority!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast