Seriously, how did labs get so smart?

Thread: Seriously, how did labs get so smart?

calilab is offline Junior Member

DefaultSeriously, how did labs get so smart?

This is our first lab and we are absolutely amazed at how smart this little guy is. We have had him for a week, he just turned 12 weeks and in that time he has learned to sit, potty where we want him to go outside, and is working on leave it and wait. He is so great that when are outside playing he will stop what he's doing and run around the side of the house and do his business. We are still working on him letting us know he has to go when we are inside but that doesn't take away how impressed we all are. Since you all are lab onward this probably doesn't surprise you but I thought I would share anyway. As far as sitting goes he learned that after about 5 times and now whenever we have food/treats he just sits automatically. He's putting his two older brothers to shame, they have to be told to sit and then they will. Anyway amazing

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paul0130 is offline Junior Member

You are so right! This is also my first pure bred Lab and he is doing pretty much all the things your guy is doing. In puppy kindergarten he does everything like a pro, even "targeting" which is a pretty cool trick. He just turned 15 weeks. The vet told us to wait until 15 weeks before we walked him around the neighborhood. He went on his first walk around the neighborhood yesterday and after about 30 seconds of sniffing around and checking things out, he walked right next to me at a perfect heel! The leash was a nice U shape right next to us and I was AMAZED at how smart he is. It's almost as if, the minute he figures out what you are trying to do, they do it because they are smart and love to please. No wonder they are America's number 1 breed!

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Sounds like both of you are having awesome experiences with your pups! I'm totally surprised at my Lilly and how smart she is. I thought maybe she got "street smarts" from being on her own for 5 weeks, but hearing your stories of your young pups and their learning experiences, can say truly how smart Labs are. And trying to please? Lilly just bends over backwards to please us. But also wants our full attention, lol. Do your pups want your attention and if so, how do they do it?

KAZ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paul0130 is offline Junior Member

My guy is very vocal when he needs my attention. He will bark at the door when he needs out, and being the only early bird in the house, he will bark first thing in the morning to get us going. One time he brought me his food bowl when it was dinner time

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Lilly is learning to be vocal, as we are breaking her habit of pulling at our hands and clothes. Lots of little whines and whimpers, but she is getting her point across and is getting our attention. So much better as my hands are battered, lol.

KAZ

calilab is offline Junior Member

Still no barking to be let out. He heads for the door but that is where the water bowl is so he usually stops for an enormous drink and then we go outside. No accidents in over a week, not sure who to credit that with though? We are hyper vigilant in watching him. I don't want him to have an accident so we take him out a lot. I know he knows where we want him to go potty outside because he will be in the middle of playing etc and just fly around the side of the house. Pretty impressed by that. Do any of your pups potty on command? That's the other thing, it seems like with all our other dogs I could spend a lot of time trying to get them to go but not with this one. If I tell him to go he will produce, even if it is just a tiny bit.

As far as wanting our attention, he uses a variety of things. Sometimes he just wants to fall asleep touching me. It could be next to me or curled up on my feet. He is not allowed up on the couch so we spend a lot of time with him on the ground or "sharing" his gigantic bed. He sleeps in his crate at night but is allowed on our bed during the day for quiet cuddle time. He is doing really well with "no bites" but sometimes when I am walking he grabs ahold of the back of my pant leg. Lastly, he just randomly comes over and puts himself in a nice sit and stares at me. I mean come on who can resist that.

The two older dogs are still teaching him appropriate dog skills, he seems to "forget" those a lot. He loves to lick the beagles mouth and for the most part the beagle lets him. Sometimes he the beagle walks away or gives off a half growl/sigh and mouths the lab a bit. This usually sends the lab on his way but not for long though.

Anyone else having problems with emptying the water bowl, on the ground, and carrying it to their beds? I keep forgetting to pick up a better one, one that he can't pick up and dump everywhere. On a good note, the kitchen floor is very clean. Lol

Shawn156 is offline Member

My pup is about 12 weeks old now and he knows how to sit and shake. I have already got him leash trained,doesn't whimper when crated unless he needs to go out to potty. When he is out he goes to the backdoor and sits when he is needs to potty.
    When he comes in after he does what he does,he sits by the cabinet door where we keep the treats at and won't move until he gets his treat. I am working on him stopping and sitting when I do with and without a leash. He doesn't get much leash time since I have a fenced back yard.
    My girlfriend has never been around a lab,I have been around them and owned one a few years back that was well trained. I lost my last one,he came from a puppy mill and I spent a lot of money trying to get him well but it didn't help. I was very picky about where I got Jake,my current black lab.
    Jake Black Lab Born 4/22/14

jparker is offline Junior Member

As they get older, they get even smarter or worse, or whatever. I am speaking from my giant single lab experience. Sometimes it is a little creepy just how well my chocolate expresses herself. She will come and stand in front of you, staring and wagging her tail and when you reach out to pet her she ducks her head under and backs up, if she is asking for food. She has also learned to watch us, not only in mirrors but also in reflective surfaces like the fridge and stove.

My favorite story of her intelligence is that she never used to drop the ball on command, she always wanted to have a tug war instead. A full year after I got her, we met a golden in a park and the golden would throw the ball at your feet as she approached you with the ball, so you would throw it again. Every time this golden did it I gave her an enthusiastic 'good girl', some petting and I threw the ball again. The next day I went out into the field with my dog and threw the ball and when she was almost back to me she threw it at my feet, stopped and wagged enthusiastically. I told her good girl and she's been throwing or dropping it ever since. To me, that is a smart dog who didn't want any other canines collecting 'good girls' that should be for her.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

They can outsmart the dum est humans.

I know, I've tried.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.